Disappointing upgrade: Sempron 2200+ -- Phenom II 4X 840

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 12th 12, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Disappointing upgrade: Sempron 2200+ -- Phenom II 4X 840

On 05/01/2012 11:27 AM, DK wrote:
Wanting more raw computing power, I went from Sempron 2200+
in ASUS Asus A7V400-MX (socket A) to Phenom II 4X 840 in Asus
M4N68T-M V2 (socket AM3).

I must say I am quite disappointed. I was hoping for about 10X speed
boost even with applications that can only use a single core. After all,
more than six years separate the two (expected boost suggested
by Moore's law would be 64X). The real life tests show nothing
of this sort! Not even close to 10X.

snip

Slightly on a tangent, I've been disappointed with all of my CPU
upgrades after my first one. My first processor was an 8088-10MHz on a
PC-XT clone. My first processor upgrade went from that, straight to a
386DX-25MHz! It felt like I just strapped a rocket to my machine --
everything felt faster, even the typing! Every other processor upgrade
since then has felt somewhat unworthwhile. I never noticed the
performance in day-to-day work.

Even though my current processor is probably literally at least a 1000
times faster than that first processor, they all seem to just barely be
noticeable from the previous processors, in my opinion. And I'm not one
to upgrade every year either, I usually wait about 3 years between
processor upgrades. So 386/25 was still the biggest kick in the pants
ever, even after all of this time.

Yousuf Khan