Jumper Setting Reccomendation

Old July 19th 06, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jerry

Default Jumper Setting Reccomendation

Hello!

I'm seeking a reccomendation for jumper settings for my computer.

I have the following:

Hitachi 60GB HDD - (Windows is installed here)
Seagate 160GB HDD - (To be used for extra space and Fedora Core 5)
LITEON DVD drive
Samsung DVD/RW drive

What would the best settings be for the jumpers?

Thanks,

--
Jerry

Old July 19th 06, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Jerry wrote:
I'm seeking a reccomendation for jumper settings for my computer.

I would get myself a couple of "selecting cables" that will determine
master/slave settings for drives that are set to "cable select." You
can generally identify these cables by the fact that the plugs either
marked Master, Slave or System Board. Here's an example:

I would then attach them like:

Primary IDE
Master: Hitachi 60GB HDD - (Windows is installed here)
Slave: Seagate 160GB HDD - (To be used for extra space and Fedora Core 5)

Secondary IDE
Master: Samsung DVD/RW drive

I wouldn't even bother hooking this up:

LITEON DVD drive

I see no practical advantage to having a second optical drive whose
features are a subset of the first. Disc to disc copies are going to
benefit from using hard drive scratch space anyhow, so you might as well
simply your system.

If, however, you are convinced you need both drives:

Secondary IDE
Master: Samsung DVD/RW drive
Slave: LITEON DVD drive
Old July 19th 06, 06:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boba & Ilinka

Put on diferent IDE chanel divacices that you use a lot to transfer file
between. Cabel selected is OK

Boba Vankufer

"Grinder" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...

Old July 19th 06, 08:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ElJerid

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!

I'm seeking a reccomendation for jumper settings for my computer.

I have the following:

Hitachi 60GB HDD - (Windows is installed here)
Seagate 160GB HDD - (To be used for extra space and Fedora Core 5)
LITEON DVD drive
Samsung DVD/RW drive

What would the best settings be for the jumpers?

Thanks,

--
Jerry

It all depends on the type and number of connection and mainboard: SATA or
PATA? This impacts the controllers and thus the performance.

Old July 19th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jerry

Grinder wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I'm seeking a reccomendation for jumper settings for my computer.

I would get myself a couple of "selecting cables" that will determine
master/slave settings for drives that are set to "cable select." You
can generally identify these cables by the fact that the plugs either
marked Master, Slave or System Board. Here's an example:

Thanks Grinder. I have a spare three-connector ribbon cable laying
around. Would that do the same thing?

--
Jerry

Old July 19th 06, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Jerry wrote:
Grinder wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I'm seeking a reccomendation for jumper settings for my computer.

I would get myself a couple of "selecting cables" that will determine
master/slave settings for drives that are set to "cable select." You
can generally identify these cables by the fact that the plugs either
marked Master, Slave or System Board. Here's an example:

Thanks Grinder. I have a spare three-connector ribbon cable laying
around. Would that do the same thing?

If the plugs are labeled "Master" and "Slave," I would think you could
use the Cable Select settings.

Old July 19th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
greensocks

If the plugs are labeled "Master" and "Slave," I would think you could
use the Cable Select settings.

What would happen if you had a disk set to Cable Select at the
master/top-end of an IDE cable which was not CS-capable please? Or is
it the motherboard which provides the CS capability?

And would it make any difference whether that was the only disk or
there was also a disk with jumper set to slave on the same cable?

Thanks!

Old July 19th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

greensocks wrote:
If the plugs are labeled "Master" and "Slave," I would think you could
use the Cable Select settings.

What would happen if you had a disk set to Cable Select at the
master/top-end of an IDE cable which was not CS-capable please?

I don't know.

Or is
it the motherboard which provides the CS capability?

It's the way the cable is formed that effectively determines the setting
for the drive. Someone figured out that it made more sense for
master/slave to be determined by the position on the cable rather than
with jumpers on the drive.

And would it make any difference whether that was the only disk or
there was also a disk with jumper set to slave on the same cable?

Again, I don't know. I generally to not seek to create problems that I
can them try to solve.
Old July 19th 06, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VWWall

greensocks wrote:
If the plugs are labeled "Master" and "Slave," I would think you could
use the Cable Select settings.

What would happen if you had a disk set to Cable Select at the
master/top-end of an IDE cable which was not CS-capable please? Or is
it the motherboard which provides the CS capability?

All 80 wire cables that meet the ATA specs are CS-capable. The MB
places a ground on pin #28. This is connected to pin #28 on the end
connector, (master). The ground is not present on pin #28 on the
middle, (slave), connector. The drive operates as master or slave,
(when jumpered as CS), depending on whether or not it finds a ground on
pin #28.

And would it make any difference whether that was the only disk or
there was also a disk with jumper set to slave on the same cable?

If you mix up CS and jumper settings, anything can happen! Sadly,
everything may look OK until you get mangled data. :-)

--
Virg Wall, PE