Windows 200 and SP2

Old May 9th 05, 04:28 AM
Scott

Default Windows 200 and SP2

I haven't installed SP2 on my Win XP desktop or notebook yet. I
have a Linksys wireless network. I'm thinking of acquiring
Windows 2000 and installing it on another computer in the house.
The Win2000 installation includes SP2. Is there any way that the
SP2 on the new machine might affect (in a negative way) my other
computers on the network...by changing any of their settings?

The reason I ask is that when I added the Win XP desktop to my
Win95 and Win98 systems, I manually configured the XP desktop
network settings, rather than using the network wizard. I didn't
want XP to take over the network configuration.

Thanks!
Scott
Old May 9th 05, 05:41 AM
Ben Myers

The service packs for Windows 2000 and Windows XP are completely different.
Don't confuse the two SP2 names. The latest and last service pack for Windows
2000 is SP4. Windows 2000 is no problem to set up for use on a network. It is
also stable and far less bloated than Windows XP, but it is probably less secure
because nobody has yet been able to strongarm Microsoft into making the
necessary security fixes to get it to the same level of security as XP with SP2.

.... Ben Myers

Old May 9th 05, 06:21 AM
Scott

Ben,