Video Card on old P5

Old May 8th 05, 05:17 AM
Brad

Default Video Card on old P5

Does any one know if a Nvidia TNT2 16MB PCI Video Card will work in an
old Gateway P5 133. I tried two different tnt2 cards, neither had video
and would not awake the monitor out of standby. One was detected by the
computer and I was able to install the drivers, the other one was not. I
have a newer Dell 17" Flat panel monitor hooked up to the computer now.
It works fine with the old Matrox Millennium but will only work in 16bit
color.....would like to find a cheap card that will support 24 or 32bit
color in higher resolutions. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
Brad
Old May 8th 05, 05:37 AM
Jess

www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...y=22&orderby=0

In the middle of the price range:

Old May 9th 05, 02:00 AM
Ben Myers

Yes, but careful! An older P5 system motherboard meets the PCI 2.0 spec. Newer
cards are often designed for the newer PCI 2.1 spec, and to save development
costs, they are not tested with PCI 2.0. For my money, I would go with either a
Matrox or ATI-branded PCI card, obviously with 16MB or more memory.

.... Ben Myers

Old May 10th 05, 01:43 AM
Brad

I dug out he old motherboard manual and it states the MB fully supports
PCI 2.1 specifications....The only thing I cant find is the MB Model
number. I have never updated the original 1.00.01cnot bios, and the only
thing I can find at the Gateway site is V 1.00.03 CNOT & revision
1.00.07 DQ0T. Is there any other bios updates I should consider?....

Brad

Ben Myers wrote:
Yes, but careful! An older P5 system motherboard meets the PCI 2.0 spec. Newer
cards are often designed for the newer PCI 2.1 spec, and to save development
costs, they are not tested with PCI 2.0. For my money, I would go with either a
Matrox or ATI-branded PCI card, obviously with 16MB or more memory.

... Ben Myers

On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:37:39 -0400, "Jess" wrote:

www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...y=22&orderby=0

In the middle of the price range:

.. .

Old May 10th 05, 02:46 AM
Ben Myers

1.00.03 CN0T is the latest and last BIOS update. The upgrade may help, but
compliance to a given level of PCI spec is a hardware thing. If the PCI card is
made strictly to the PCI 2.2 spec, it simply may not work.

The official Intel name for the motherboard is Advanced/ATX. The Intel code
name for the board is Thor... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
Yes, but careful! An older P5 system motherboard meets the PCI 2.0 spec. Newer
cards are often designed for the newer PCI 2.1 spec, and to save development
costs, they are not tested with PCI 2.0. For my money, I would go with either a
Matrox or ATI-branded PCI card, obviously with 16MB or more memory.

... Ben Myers

On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:37:39 -0400, "Jess" wrote:

www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...y=22&orderby=0

In the middle of the price range:

. ..

Old May 16th 05, 04:16 AM
Brad

The MB has a 133 pentium chip on it now, an I want to pick up a cheap
166mhz chip off of ebay, however most are MMX chips, will a MMX chip
work with this old board? I dont think I can go with anything higher
than a 166, can I?
Brad

Old May 16th 05, 08:52 AM
Dr. Mellow

Brad wrote:
The MB has a 133 pentium chip on it now, an I want to pick up a cheap
166mhz chip off of ebay, however most are MMX chips, will a MMX chip
work with this old board? I dont think I can go with anything higher
than a 166, can I?
Brad

No, you can't use the MMX chip. You are also not going to see much of a
jump going from 133 to 166. You could use an Intel or Powerleap
Overdrive to get 200mhz. But, it really isn't worth the time or money.

Mellow