A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 7th 19, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 301
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

What the **** is this on the last picture ?

https://www.legitreviews.com/winfast...d-review_328/2

4's thing from the left, it's some kind of square port ?! black ?!

It's supposed to be some kind of optical connector but it looks totally different than:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

How the **** would one connect to this black square port ?!

Is it perhaps a place holder that needs to be pulled out ?!

Seems pretty stuck.

It's the square thing right next to that round port.

Bye,
Skybuck.
  #2  
Old February 7th 19, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 301
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

Never mind I figured it out.

I have two of these motherboards, I went to the brand new one, the backup motherboard.

Both are supposed to be second hand but looks completely new.

The black square thing is indeed as I suspect some kind of plug that needs to be pulled out.

Apperently it's to protect the SPDIF optical port from dust/damage or so.

The one of the backup motherboard comes out real easy.

But for some reason the one on my main motherboard is stuck.

Perhaps glued or fried ?! Not sure.

But I will try and pull it out... maybe it can't come out cause of the i/o shield/bracket blocking it...

Hmmm...

Weird... manual says nothing about this.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
  #3  
Old February 7th 19, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,109
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif?

wrote:
Never mind I figured it out.

I have two of these motherboards, I went to the brand new one, the backup motherboard.

Both are supposed to be second hand but looks completely new.

The black square thing is indeed as I suspect some kind of plug that needs to be pulled out.

Apperently it's to protect the SPDIF optical port from dust/damage or so.

The one of the backup motherboard comes out real easy.

But for some reason the one on my main motherboard is stuck.

Perhaps glued or fried ?! Not sure.

But I will try and pull it out... maybe it can't come out cause of the i/o shield/bracket blocking it...

Hmmm...

Weird... manual says nothing about this.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.


That sounds like TOSLink. An optical fiber connector with
a large aperture (unlike communications fiber with a small
aperture). The optical fiber is also referred to as dental
fiber optics, presumably because in dentistry it is used as a
light source for something.

During PCB manufacturing, if you want the board to be
automatically soldered on an automated line, connectors
which can get "dirt" in them, receive a rubber plug. Once
a board is soldered, the water-soluble solder paste is washed
off in a washing machine. To avoid the wash water going into
the connectors, the connectors have plugs placed in them to
keep the water out. I had an RJ45 once, where the wash water
got in, and it left an insulating "film" on one of the RJ45
contacts. Inserting and removing a connector a few times
cleared it.

Optical connectors can be pretty sensitive to dirt too.

The rubber plug you see now, might be considered a "dust cap".
It helps keep the connector clean.

See if the "shape" of the connector, matches this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TOSLINK.jpg

When TOSLink is operational, the color of light is
visible red light. The light source costs about a dollar.

The motherboard is NF4SK8AA.

https://i.postimg.cc/NF2xVYtH/toslink.gif

Paul
  #4  
Old February 7th 19, 08:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 301
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

I took some pictures of this plug:

Link to Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOpticalSPDIF/

Link to Pictures (approx 3 megabyte per picture):

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 1.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 2.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 3.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 4.JPG

Black Plug in Optical SPDIF Port on winfast motherboard video:

https://youtu.be/PtpHfDAXNjk

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Analog vs Realtek Audio 97 optical spdif:


So far I think I prefer the analog sound, it sounds a little bit more smooth... but the optical is probably slightly better for recgonizing vocals... at least this was my experience when I tested it via hdmi on laptop, which had a different audio chip I think, not sure though.

However perhaps the realtek 97 audio chip is of lesser quality... I also recgonized some plopping during switching between audio solutions but that might be normal... so far it does seem to play smooth... but it does require on cpu processing I think so I would not be surprised if during gaming there was more crackling... though I will not be using spdif optical for gaming mostly... cause it cannot do 7.1 for now... only 2 channels available for now but I might experiment with codecs or newer realtek drivers.

Let me know any thoughts you have on experimenting with newer codecs and such... I've heard about spdif pass through and all kinds of things not yet sure about that... but it feels cool to get this fiber optic/red light connection working ! =D So me very happy about that ! =D

And it does prove this is not scam-tech it does really work ! LOL.
Writing this is I wait for the youtube upload =D

I will test optical/spdif and upmixing and 7ch stereo with warcraft frozen throne... I was impressed but it back then when I played it on toshiba laptop... not yet sure if it was the audio chip or simply the receiver causing the perceived better sound quality but soon new gaming/experiment might shine some light on that

Ok analog vs video link should be:

https://youtu.be/oT2wB8PqVtc

Still uploading but this means I can leave you for now and finish this posting ! =D

Enjoy ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D
  #5  
Old February 7th 19, 09:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,109
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif?

wrote:
I took some pictures of this plug:

Link to Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOpticalSPDIF/

Link to Pictures (approx 3 megabyte per picture):

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 1.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 2.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 3.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 4.JPG

Black Plug in Optical SPDIF Port on winfast motherboard video:

https://youtu.be/PtpHfDAXNjk

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Analog vs Realtek Audio 97 optical spdif:


So far I think I prefer the analog sound, it sounds a little bit more smooth... but the optical is probably slightly better for recgonizing vocals... at least this was my experience when I tested it via hdmi on laptop, which had a different audio chip I think, not sure though.

However perhaps the realtek 97 audio chip is of lesser quality... I also recgonized some plopping during switching between audio solutions but that might be normal... so far it does seem to play smooth... but it does require on cpu processing I think so I would not be surprised if during gaming there was more crackling... though I will not be using spdif optical for gaming mostly... cause it cannot do 7.1 for now... only 2 channels available for now but I might experiment with codecs or newer realtek drivers.

Let me know any thoughts you have on experimenting with newer codecs and such... I've heard about spdif pass through and all kinds of things not yet sure about that... but it feels cool to get this fiber optic/red light connection working ! =D So me very happy about that ! =D

And it does prove this is not scam-tech it does really work ! LOL.
Writing this is I wait for the youtube upload =D

I will test optical/spdif and upmixing and 7ch stereo with warcraft frozen throne... I was impressed but it back then when I played it on toshiba laptop... not yet sure if it was the audio chip or simply the receiver causing the perceived better sound quality but soon new gaming/experiment might shine some light on that

Ok analog vs video link should be:

https://youtu.be/oT2wB8PqVtc

Still uploading but this means I can leave you for now and finish this posting ! =D

Enjoy ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D


The status on your pictures is:

403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules.

SPDIF and TOSLink have a limited number of channels, and
cannot do a really good job of transmitting sound. They do
stereo with a decent number of bits (stereo sound should be
great). There is a second option to transmit four channels,
but with fewer bits per channel. I don't think I've heard
of anyone yet, using the four channel mode.

The transport can transmit AC3, which I'm guessing
is 5.1 mode. That's a compressed mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital#liba52

http://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uploa...-201212-17.pdf

I haven't heard of a 7.1 for TOSLink.

TOSLink runs at 6Mbit/sec. I don't think there is
any fancy modulation of the light. It's just
on and off.

The attenuation in a TOSLink plastic cable should be
fairly high, and it's not intended for sending a
signal a couple of kilometers like a telecommunications
fiber and transmitter could. The emphasis is on cheapness.
With $1 components and cheap plastic fiber. This does
not affect the results, because it's digital. And as
long as the transmitted bits are not corrupted, they're
"as good on one side of the room, as they are on the other side
of the room".

The fact that AC3 compression is lossy, means
the quality cannot be as good on the receiving end as the
signal was before being compressed. It would be a bit
like what happens with an MP3. If you play back a DVD,
the AC3 can be read off the DVD and sent out the TOSLink
without modification. This means the computer volume
control doesn't work, but, no AC3 license is needed
by the motherboard maker.

The NForce2 MCP-T Southbridge, had a hardware DSP for
doing AC3 compression. If you had a FLAC music selection
with six channels, then you could run that through the
MCP-T and from there, go via SPDIF to your receiver
and receive all six channels. But, the quality of the FLAC
would be degraded by the lossy AC3 compression step. Which
would throw away frequencies in order to stick to the
limited bitrate.

Paul
  #6  
Old February 7th 19, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,267
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 00:48:17 -0800 (PST),
wrote:


So far I think I prefer the analog sound, it sounds a little bit more
smooth... but the optical is probably slightly better for recognizing
vocals... at least this was my experience when I tested it via hdmi on
laptop, which had a different audio chip I think, not sure though.

-
I run mine SPDIF through an external processor, an old hardwired
DBX(tm) compressor/expander box. The expansion occurs at a voltage
RMS input value, dialed in, whereupon the output is also dialed in for
an amount, or ratio, expanded (sometimes called "pumping" in audio
terms), at a setpoint for the former.

Anyway the SPDIF (processed at a higher sampling rate than actually
encoded or probably necessary) is hooked to a powered converter, from
there is first processed by the DBX, whereupon the DBX output is sent
into one of two vacuum-tube preamps, which follows through, duplicated
actually, for the final analogue amp(s - one is Class D, the other
Class A/B).

The duplication aspect occurs for a wet-dry Fx (between SPDIF and
non-SPDIF) comparison, although in reality it can tend to affect
frequencies as presence, depending on how they're dialed in against
one another through an actual Mixerboard for blending them.

As the S/PDIF carries of uncompressed PCM audio, from the software at
a higher rate than the RCA output, differences are subtle from an
A/B-perspective with perhaps gain output ranges as well to account.
Mixed or blended S/PDIF-RCA within the mixer unit there's possible to
achieve an shelving-effect on the upper frequencies.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I've also 450-watts combined over two
amps and four speakers in two brands of reference monitors. Depends
on the output volume and mixing. I generally favor the S/PDIF and DBX
as source with a little wet/dryness from the RCA, depending on which
set of speakers I'm emphasizing: one set is 8ohm speakers and have
lower bass responses, whereas the other are 4ohm and have more
mid-frequency presence.

Bi-amping in a sense, although I do usually blend for close enough to
an equal sum perceptual output of power from both amps and speaker
sets;- both speaker brands, Polk Audio and Alesis reference monitor
series, do both sound musical in their in their own respective right.

For all that power (I've also a 115V unit for metering 200-watt power,
hooked into the output amp stages), where 75-watts is plenty for
"pushing it" when accounting, at anything higher, spurious peaks apt
to "clip" and shut down an amp for safe-state momentary recovery. Not
exactly bringing on thunder, but at 15- or 20-watt things do get LOUD.
  #7  
Old February 10th 19, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 301
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

The status on your pictures is:

403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules.


Hmm,

It's either a problem on your side.

Or perhaps there was a bandwidth resource shortage temporarely.

Try again and let me know.

On my side everything seems to be working just fine !

One other possibility could be that the web host checks my IP and then allows it.

But I don't think this is the case.

Also the pictures are quite large, perhaps you are not allowed to download such big files ? Perhaps at work ? or on mobile phone ?

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
  #9  
Old February 10th 19, 08:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 199
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif ?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 02:39:42 -0500, Paul wrote:

wrote:
The status on your pictures is:

403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules.


Hmm,

It's either a problem on your side.

Or perhaps there was a bandwidth resource shortage temporarely.

Try again and let me know.

On my side everything seems to be working just fine !

One other possibility could be that the web host checks my IP and then allows it.

But I don't think this is the case.

Also the pictures are quite large, perhaps you are not allowed to download such big files ? Perhaps at work ? or on mobile phone ?

Bye for now,
Skybuck.


I have a 400GB/month cap.

Late at night, "downloads are free", which means you
can exceed the 400GB value. Someone using the same account
type I have, has managed to download 1TB in a single month
using some automation to precisely start transfers during
the free usage period. My usage per month, seldom exceeds
25-40GB or so.

So size isn't an issue.

The status is still 403 Forbidden.

Even the top level of your site returns 403.

http://www.skybuck.org/

https://www.skybuck.org/

403 Forbidden

Request forbidden by administrative rules.


The 4 pictures load fine for me, as does the base url at
http://www.skybuck.org/. He must have fixed the permission issue.


  #10  
Old February 10th 19, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,109
Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif?

Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 02:39:42 -0500, Paul wrote:

wrote:
The status on your pictures is:

403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules.
Hmm,

It's either a problem on your side.

Or perhaps there was a bandwidth resource shortage temporarely.

Try again and let me know.

On my side everything seems to be working just fine !

One other possibility could be that the web host checks my IP and then allows it.

But I don't think this is the case.

Also the pictures are quite large, perhaps you are not allowed to download such big files ? Perhaps at work ? or on mobile phone ?

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

I have a 400GB/month cap.

Late at night, "downloads are free", which means you
can exceed the 400GB value. Someone using the same account
type I have, has managed to download 1TB in a single month
using some automation to precisely start transfers during
the free usage period. My usage per month, seldom exceeds
25-40GB or so.

So size isn't an issue.

The status is still 403 Forbidden.

Even the top level of your site returns 403.

http://www.skybuck.org/

https://www.skybuck.org/

403 Forbidden

Request forbidden by administrative rules.


The 4 pictures load fine for me, as does the base url at
http://www.skybuck.org/. He must have fixed the permission issue.


Interesting.

Results are browser-sensitive.

SRware Iron (equivalent to Chrome 49) can access the site.

Seamonkey was throwing the 403. A redirection problem or
something related to how his domain is set up ?

*******

The "cap" in the four pictures, could double as a manufacturing
watertight seal for washing purposes, as well as function as
a "dust cap" for the end-user.

And the Youtube video - I feel like I'm in a club
downtown or something :-)

https://www.adorama.com/alc/wp-conte...00289062-1.jpg

Paul

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro Breakout Box SPDIF/Optical OUT to Denon 1909Receiver Optical IN not working ? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 10 January 5th 19 03:41 AM
Windows 7, Services.exe hangs on winfast motherboard/drivers. Skybuck Flying[_7_] Homebuilt PC's 0 May 12th 13 12:01 AM
A7N8X-DLX, Perfect sound with optical SPDIF Walter[_2_] Asus Motherboards 0 April 11th 08 08:23 PM
Experience with the Foxconn WinFast 6150K8MA-8EKRS Motherboard Phillip Woon General 0 March 21st 06 12:04 AM
optical SPDIF on live driveII doesn't work. focus_dis Creative Sound Blaster Cards 1 February 23rd 04 01:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.