Canon IP4000 - query about high print quality setting

Old December 15th 05, 09:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Canon IP4000 - query about high print quality setting

Can anyone advise what the technical difference is between printing on
the high and standard settings. Recently when I print using the high
setting my blues are coming out more like violet but on the standard
setting the colours are ok. This is the same on diff types of paper.
I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the printer drivers without any
joy. Ink is Jettec & that brand has been fine in the past.

I've had the printer for nearly a year & now thinking of retiring it
to the kids PC & buying a 5200 if I cant resolve it.

Thanks for any help.

Old December 15th 05, 10:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

In article mac says...
Can anyone advise what the technical difference is between printing on
the high and standard settings. Recently when I print using the high
setting my blues are coming out more like violet but on the standard
setting the colours are ok. This is the same on diff types of paper.
I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the printer drivers without any
joy. Ink is Jettec & that brand has been fine in the past.

I've had the printer for nearly a year & now thinking of retiring it
to the kids PC & buying a 5200 if I cant resolve it.

Thanks for any help.

Could it be that it only uses the smaller nozzles and you have some of
these blocked? Standard using larger nozzles as well might mask the
problem.
Old December 16th 05, 12:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

colinco wrote:

In article mac says...

Can anyone advise what the technical difference is between printing on
the high and standard settings.

High uses more ink and has very little effect on business documents and
is slower. However, on photos is uses more ink and improves the quality
of the photo.

Recently when I print using the high
setting my blues are coming out more like violet but on the standard
setting the colours are ok.

I use OEM ink and do not have that problem.

This is the same on diff types of paper.
I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the printer drivers without any
joy. Ink is Jettec & that brand has been fine in the past.

You are not using Canon ink soi why do you complain.

I've had the printer for nearly a year & now thinking of retiring it
to the kids PC & buying a 5200 if I cant resolve it.

Good choice but use OEM ink

Old December 16th 05, 12:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

It's normal for colors to shift on the high setting. You will find this on
all printers. How much it shifts depends on what you are printing and the
paper. It can range from simply darker hues to actual changes in hue.

Old December 16th 05, 01:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:53:16 -0700, in comp.periphs.printers you
wrote:

It's normal for colors to shift on the high setting. You will find this on
all printers. How much it shifts depends on what you are printing and the
paper. It can range from simply darker hues to actual changes in hue.

I've seen subtle shifts previously(when all was well) but now I'm
getting a garish lilac instead of blue on the high setting. I've done
lots of cleaning & I'm now using a fresh set(Jettec) of colour inks
with the same probs. Maybe I should try Canon inks again just to
make sure they're not the cause.

My Color Management is set with Windows selecting the best color
profile, is that correct or is a specific profile a better option.

.. .

Old December 16th 05, 05:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Recently when I print using the high
setting my blues are coming out more like violet but on the standard
setting the colours are ok.

First bit of advice... don't listen to measekite... his states that use
of non-OEM being the cause of your problem is not something he can
justify with any evidence. I will not say it's not possible... nor
should it be ruled out... only that his statements on the subject are
repeated many times a day.

As Dan G pointed out... color shift is normal. As I will point out...
the tank to the printhead connection is sealed with large rubber
gaskets... but the chambers are seperated by large angular pieces of
plastic so even if these are buggered the worst you'll possibly
experence are air bubbles. But there are gaskets and chambers that
connect the assembly that holds the takes to the printhead, and these
gaskets do degrade with age. Other users who have noticed bleeding
have resolved the issue with a deep clean, and only cases of much
gasket degrading have they resorted to the final solution of replacing
the printhead. I can not judge without seeing images from your print
to see if it's the case.

Also, canon's have a tendancy of being vivid... as in making cool
colors slightly more warm (blues with a slab of magenta) and warm
colors slightly more cool (red (magenta and yellow) with just a pinch
of cyan. Their claim that colors are vivid is the truth, they
certainly are vivid.

Best to compair what you get with another ip4000 user and see if they
are the same or similar. What you notice may be part of the design...
or could be a symptom of lousy gaskets. If you are within your
warranty period you might want to talk to canon about the subject, in
the US and UK they ship out replacement heads at the drop of a hat.

Old December 16th 05, 08:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite wrote:

colinco wrote:

In article mac says...

Can anyone advise what the technical difference is between printing on
the high and standard settings.

High uses more ink and has very little effect on business documents and
is slower. However, on photos is uses more ink and improves the quality
of the photo.

Recently when I print using the high
setting my blues are coming out more like violet but on the standard
setting the colours are ok.

I use OEM ink and do not have that problem.

This is the same on diff types of paper.
I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the printer drivers without any
joy. Ink is Jettec & that brand has been fine in the past.

You are not using Canon ink soi why do you complain.

I've had the printer for nearly a year & now thinking of retiring it
to the kids PC & buying a 5200 if I cant resolve it.

Good choice but use OEM ink

Good grief man, will you give it a rest?

--
Paul (We're too young to fall asleep)
Stop and Look
Old December 16th 05, 08:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On 15 Dec 2005 20:07:44 -0800, "zakezuke"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply, v/interesting technical info! I've tried the
deep cleaning with no luck. I've scanned 2 prints side by side &
found a free hosting site, the colours have not been edited in any
way: http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10430/80511.jpg

I thought that if the ink was to blame then it would affect printouts
at any setting. I did have a good 8-9 months getting great quality
printouts on both high & standard settings & I'm comparing my
printouts now to the printouts then & something has altered.

I'll contact Canon UK to see if they'll help. If I have to buy a
printhead then I'll get the 5200 & let the kids use the 4000 to
replace their old Epson 750.

Out of interest can anyone confirm which inks are used to make a dark
shade of blue?
Old December 16th 05, 08:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I vote for the ink being the problem. There was a shipment of Formulabs
magenta last summer that was way off, maybe you got some.
Your printhead is obviously fine, it has to be the ink.

wrote:

It's normal for colors to shift on the high setting. You will find this

on
all printers. How much it shifts depends on what you are printing and the
paper. It can range from simply darker hues to actual changes in hue.

I've seen subtle shifts previously(when all was well) but now I'm
getting a garish lilac instead of blue on the high setting. I've done
lots of cleaning & I'm now using a fresh set(Jettec) of colour inks
with the same probs. Maybe I should try Canon inks again just to
make sure they're not the cause.

My Color Management is set with Windows selecting the best color
profile, is that correct or is a specific profile a better option.

.. .

Old December 16th 05, 09:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Dan G wrote:

I vote for the ink being the problem. There was a shipment of Formulabs
magenta last summer that was way off, maybe you got some.
Your printhead is obviously fine, it has to be the ink.

Things like this have never been reported with Canon OEM ink.

.. .