Should I go Athlon64 or Barton?

Old September 7th 04, 08:47 PM
Wes Newell

Default Should I go Athlon64 or Barton?

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:41:02 +0100, Franklin wrote:

Hi guys, after several years I have run out of power on my old 700
MHz Duron system and now want something new.

Unless you just "want it, and the money doesn't matter", there's no reason
you should do anything other than just upgrade your cpu. You can get close
to the speed of a new $400 system with just a cpu upgrade and it will be
many times faster than what you have now. The 2400+ you mentioned sounds
very reasonable to me. I just upgraded the cpu in my brothers old 750
Duron to an underclocked 2100+ running 1300MHz and he's happy with it.
Didn't even want me to speed it up any more, so I lowered vcore to 1.5v to
keep it cool and quiet. Now if he wants more speed, I can almost double it
with his current cpu. It was the cpu listed below.