Abit KT7E using Athlon XP 2000+ OC

Old September 5th 04, 08:47 PM
Eric Gutierrez

Default Abit KT7E using Athlon XP 2000+ OC

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a similar config, perhaps
getting a better OC?

I just went with another dirt cheap upgrade:
upgraded only my CPU (from Duron 950, OC: 1200)
to an XP2000+ (1.67GHz) and still managed to OC it
to 1800GHz stable on an old Abit KT7E
Ran WinXP and DOOM3 fine.

Bios Settings: (Aggressive, version: 7N)
Vcore = 1.70v
voltage = 3.40v
Multiplier: 12 and above = 12.5 using WCPUID
FSB = 133/33
Additional FSB = 11
Total FSB = 144MHz

WCPUID:
Family 6/7 Model 8/8 Stepping ID 0/0
Internal Clock = 1806.54MHz
System Bus = 289.05 MHz DDR
System Clock = 144.52 MHz
Multiplier = 12.5

Graphics: MSI GF3 Ti200
Memory = 256MB, PC133

I did manage to boot at 1900+ MHz, but stalled on Windows start.

--eric
Old September 5th 04, 11:52 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:47:46 -0700, Eric Gutierrez wrote:

WCPUID:
Family 6/7 Model 8/8 Stepping ID 0/0
Internal Clock = 1806.54MHz
System Bus = 289.05 MHz DDR
System Clock = 144.52 MHz
Multiplier = 12.5

I did manage to boot at 1900+ MHz, but stalled on Windows start.

That's a Tbred A core. you've just about got it maxed out. You *might* be
able to ghet it stable at 1900MHz with more vcore, but it's not going to
matter that much. Don't recall any hitting anything more than 1900MHz in a
normal type setup. If you need more than you have now, you'll need another
cpu (B core or Barton).

Old September 7th 04, 03:26 AM
Eric Gutierrez

Wes,

I do seem to have a proc that's multiplier unlocked by default, is
that normal for the XP 2000+ TBredA? Would there have been an
advantage if I had gotten some other version of this chip ie. TBredB?

Oh, I should mention one more thing to those that might have this
similar setup. I was getting 4 long beeps during boot up even when
underclocking the XP 2000+ to 1.4GHz on the Abit KT7E, the monitor
would go blank, and the system would power down by itself.

Solved it using the following:

1. Reseated the video card and memory. (though this didn't really
make it go away)

2. At the bios, disabled CPU FAN warning (risky, but it works,
besides it's a cheap proc on an old board that is EOL).

eric

Old September 7th 04, 07:36 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:26:30 -0700, Eric Gutierrez wrote:

I do seem to have a proc that's multiplier unlocked by default, is
that normal for the XP 2000+ TBredA?

Yes. All early Tbreds were unlocked.

Would there have been an advantage if I had gotten some other version
of this chip ie. TBredB?

Sure, it would clock a lot higher and run cooler. AMD still calling it a
Tbred core is/was misleading. It's a complete new core compared to the
first tbred core. Now the Barton is pretty much just a Tbred B core with
extra cache added.

Old September 8th 04, 10:28 PM
Eric Gutierrez

Wes,

After careful consideration of what you said, I decided to return the
XP2000+ (somehow I wasn't totally satisfied) and went for an XP2400+
with a few more bucks.

It works!!

Funny thing is that the Abit KT7E board decided to choose a multiplier
of 20X on its own (based on WCPUID) and an FSB of 100 not 133. I am
getting 2GHz, and managed to overclock a little (added a couple FSBs
to a max of 12) hitting 2280MHz (boot only), but am now running at
2100MHz (works with WinXP, Doom3).

Despite the quirks I've had with the KT7E over the last 2.5 years,
(had to solve problems with VIA4IN1 drivers, cracking sound, bios
upgrades, linux boot problems, win2K or winXP wouldn't install with a
GeForce3) I am impressed with the board able to handle the new chip
and the good documentation/resources on the board. This should last
me another 3 years before finally retiring the entire system.

eric
--
with a humble AbitKT7E, XP2400+, 256MB PC133, MSI GF3-Ti200