GFX card cooling

Old September 9th 04, 06:31 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Default GFX card cooling

I am trying to quieten my PC. Next thing on my list is the PSU and graphics
card. I have a Radeon 8500 and the heatsink is glued on, so I have no
mounting holes next to the chip, so cannot consider a heatpipe option.

- Has anyone tried the Zalman ZM17CU on a Radeon 8500?
Does it need a fan? ...
One thing that bothers me about it is that heat rises and this cooler sits
on the gfx chip, therefore below the AGP card (tower case), so the heat will
rise back up into the graphics card??? Also, most of my airflow concentrates
around the chipset and CPU + exhausts next to the CPU for extra effect, so
will I need to re-design my airflow? - Does it need a fan?

Are there any other silent (or near silent) GFX cooling options for my
Radeon 8500?? (minimum budget please).

Ta

Old September 10th 04, 02:10 AM
Kingster

I bought this fan card and it seems to be working well, and it is a nice
blue if you can see it with the side cover on it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...888-112&depa=0

and read the reviews!!!

Allen

Old September 10th 04, 03:34 AM
Ben Z

Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

[...]

I'd double check but I've had a trusty Thermaltake Crystal Orb for 3 years
now, used it on 4 different cards. I have it plugged in to an Enermax fan
controller and can be adjusted from +-3300-5500 rpms and the temp probe
right now shows on my Geforce 5600fx non o'c (using Fedora Core 2) +-33 to
40C (can provide more info if wanted). I've used it on a Voodoo 3(epoxy
and removed pins), Geforce2 MX, Geforce3 ti200, my current Geforce 5600 and
the and radeon 9600se. Roughly $20 US. been a reliable one for me.

Hope this helps the cause
Ben Z