What Type Of Memory Needed To Upgrade 5yr Old Gateway

Old May 18th 05, 05:42 AM
Bob Eason

Default What Type Of Memory Needed To Upgrade 5yr Old Gateway

Very grateful for advice anyone can give me.
5 year old Gateway Pentium 3 500
Motherboard uses Intel 440BX chipset
There are 3 memory module slots
One of these contains one 128 MB SDRAM DIMM memory card
There is a 100 MHz front side bus
I'd like to increase to 512 MB RAM
Tried Dick Smith Electronics -biggest local retail for computer parts- who
stocked nothing suitable
What should I be searching for memory-wise ? Can I just pull out the 128MB
and replace with one 512 or 2x256 module of what ?
I know its old but it serves well as an Internet link (and Win 98).
Many thanks for any advice
Regards
Bob

Old May 18th 05, 08:58 AM
Louie

"Bob Eason" wrote in message
Very grateful for advice anyone can give me.
5 year old Gateway Pentium 3 500
Motherboard uses Intel 440BX chipset
There are 3 memory module slots
One of these contains one 128 MB SDRAM DIMM memory card
There is a 100 MHz front side bus
I'd like to increase to 512 MB RAM
Tried Dick Smith Electronics -biggest local retail for computer parts- who
stocked nothing suitable
What should I be searching for memory-wise ? Can I just pull out the 128MB
and replace with one 512 or 2x256 module of what ?
I know its old but it serves well as an Internet link (and Win 98).
Many thanks for any advice
Regards
Bob

Bob, try Crucial's System Scanner he

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

HTH

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

Old May 18th 05, 01:54 PM
Ben Myers

The 440BX chipset wants PC100 memory, but some PC133 may also work. In
addition, memory must be non-parity. Memory chips must be low-density.
Depending on the motherboard model, it may accept 3x256MB. For certain, 3x128MB
would work. If the memory exceeds 512MB, it would be best to run Windows 2000
or XP, not 98 or ME.

Posting the BIOS identifier displayed by the motherboard will help narrow down
the possible options. Gateway used at least 3 different motherboards with the
440BX chipset... Ben Myers

Old May 18th 05, 02:18 PM
Bruce

Go to http://www.crucial.com
They are very reliable, good quality and fair priced.
Look up your system and they will list the ram that is guaranteed to
work in that system. They will also tell you the max amount your system
will support, which is probably 3X256 = 768 MB

Be careful with locally bought RAM. Most of this will be high density
and incompatible with your old 440BX chipset. The stuff you need is
generally more expensive. But, if it is the correct density, the speed
does not matter, 100 or 133 MHz will work just fine. Both will run at
100 MHz with not difference in speed. The latency does make a slight
difference, CL2 being better than CL3.