Gateway

Old March 28th 05, 06:13 AM
vtbmg

Default Gateway

Found this site just today and saw this question. I have 3 of these
Power supplys on back order, with my rep calling me yesterday tell me
the Date is May 15. They have built a new assembly line to handle just
these power supplys because of demand. She did tell me that is the
latest, May 15, but expect to be shipping mid April. Im a Corporate
customer so she is pushing those dates with that in mind, I dont know
about the rest so dates could be different. Thought you wall might
want to know.

Hope all works out.

Old March 28th 05, 06:13 AM
NerdsOnSite

It's so ridiculous that Gateway is allowed to operate this way. The
government should not permit this to happen. I have the same problem
finding this power supply too.
Good luck

Old April 19th 05, 11:48 PM
ich

For the fan us a 9.2cm with the LP4male to female pass through
connectors ( Startech will Do. part # FANBOX92) just connect the fan
to an open connector on the wires coming out of the power supply. Do
not worry about connecting it to the board on the power supply, all
you are looking for is power to the fan to cool the power supply
board, if your fan is bad just pull it and your supply should test
good ( you may need a power supply tester for this ) All I am saying
is this is how I did it, and if Gateway actually stocked this part I
would not tell you the work around

Old May 17th 05, 06:32 PM
dwright

At least I'm not alone. The fan on my power supply (exact same one)
failed yesterday.

The power supply was almost too hot to even touch.

I used gateway's support "chat" and the person seemed knowledgable.
He told me to replace with a StarTech 145-Watt Micro ATX Power
Supply.

I told him that it didn't look like mine, and he said that's okay.

I read the specs for it on startech's website, and it lacks the 4-pin
connector to the motherboard (not to mention it's not 160 watts).

I talked to chat today and was given a URL to a different site which
only showed a 400 watt supply that didn't even look like it would
fit.

He then gave me the right URL and it showed "out of stock".

He actually asked me "Why don't you order a new system?"

I asked if he would buy a new car if his battery went dead.

Let this be a lesson to everyone - NEVER buy hardware from a vendor
that insists on using non-standard proprietary parts.

(I knew that all along - this is a company-purchased PC, and one that
I never would have purchased myself).

So far, Gateway's support chat is 0 for 3 based on my experience.
Pitiful.

Old May 18th 05, 04:20 AM
Ben Myers

Open up the power supply and snip the wires from the dead fan as close as
possible to the fan itself. Then solder the wires from the replacement fan to
the wire leads, matching colors of the wires. Plastic shrink tubing is nice,
but electrical tape will do.

I did the same to a non-standard power supply in a P4 Compaq Presario system
recently, and secured the electrical tape with the plastic ties used to make
cables neater.

It's really hard to figure which systems have standard or non-standard power
supplies without opening them up before you buy. But computer stores won't ever
let you look under the hood to see what you are really getting. (Likewise, a
computer with 256MB might be delivered with 2x128MB or a single 256MB DIMM. If
the former, you end up with useless 128MB DIMMs when it is necessary to upgrade.
Again, they won't let you look under the hood.)... Ben Myers

On 17 May 2005 19:32:50 -0400, lid (dwright)
wrote:

Shooterwrote:

On 17 May 2005 13:32:27 -0400,
lid
(dwright) wrote:

At least I'm not alone. The fan on my power supply (exact same

one)
failed yesterday.

If the PS is not damaged, then why not just replace the fan? You can
get "Generic" fans that should fit the PS most anywhere.

Regards,[/quote]

That's what I'm attempting to do right now.

I got a "3-wire fan" cannabalized from somewhere and now I just got to
figure out which wire is the "speed sensor wire" mentioned by Bruce
(2nd post).

Trial and error should work, although I suspect the red and the black
are the ones I need to use and the yellow isn't required.

It would be nice if I had a soldering iron and some heat shrink
tubing, but I'll make do one way or another.

Old May 18th 05, 03:05 PM
Kevin Childers

Also check that none of the capacitors (caps) are leaking. Another
effect of heat issues that will kill your PSU.

One way to check out what is under the hood before you buy is to check
out parts dealers since most of them offer photo's of their wares to help in
ordering the right parts for your machine. I get most of my PSUs from
Power-On www.power-on.com. Haven't had a problem with any replacement parts
I've gotten from them yet.

KC

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
[...]