Microtek 5900 Scanner - user's experience

Old September 5th 03, 09:37 PM
HBYardSale

Default Microtek 5900 Scanner - user's experience

For what it's worth, I just returned this scanner and will not ever buy another
Microtek product -- not because of the product, but because of the lack of
clear documentation. Lots of PDF files, but no "real" instructions or
descriptions of the features for this one.

I won't bash Microteck, since others have had good luck with their products,
but if you do a quick search at google for my email address and microtek, you
will see the difficulties I have had in setting up this scanner.

I gave it a 40-day trial and finally gave up.

For scanning black and white, garden variety work, it did an excellent job.
Same for color prints. The scans actually looked better than the original
prints to me.

My problem was in scanning 4x5 negatives. I never could get a decent scan,
following all of the instructions and the generous help from others answering
my postings.

The scanner got a good review at pcworld.com, and for the money and doing basic
scanning, it did a fine job.

But if you are looking for a scanner to scan B&W negatives (as used in offset
printing) or color slides, I wish you better luck than I had.

I will not buy any Microtek products again. Not because of the products, but
because of the lack of clear instructions. Lots of PDF's but no "real" how-to
instructions.

No replies please. I have already returned the scanner.

Old September 6th 03, 01:31 PM
Tom Elliott

Too bad you returned the scanner.
My current project is to scan in 4x5 B&W negs of my high school =
graduation annual, you know the kind, all your friends signed and there =
are stats beside each name etc, etc. The purpose of scanning the senior =
class is to eventually make available copies of the book to those who =
lost theirs or never got one to begin with.
Yours,
Tom
PS: as to the manuals and how to, I think PhotoShop by Adobe is the only =
software that I have that has the kind of support you had expected, and =
rightly so.
Yours,
Tom
"HBYardSale" wrote in message =
For what it's worth, I just returned this scanner and will not ever =

buy another
Microtek product -- not because of the product, but because of the =

lack of=20
clear documentation. Lots of PDF files, but no "real" instructions or
descriptions of the features for this one.
=20

Old September 7th 03, 02:00 PM
JimL

I feel bad.

Not for you, but for the store that sold it to you and for the
company.

People like you that use and return stuff have got to be a huge drain
on our economy. Billions of lost tax dollars...

I'd like to see some major stores establish a 'no return' policy.
You buy it and it's yours. Product prices in my store could be
drastically reduced because of the policy.

JimL

Old September 8th 03, 04:36 PM
HBYardSale

My current project is to scan in 4x5 B&W negs of my high school =
graduation annual, you know the kind, all your friends signed and there =
are stats beside each name etc, etc. The purpose of scanning the senior =
class is to eventually make available copies of the book to those who =
lost theirs or never got one to begin with.
Yours,
Tom
PS: as to the manuals and how to, I think PhotoShop by Adobe is the only =
software that I have that has the kind of support you had expected

Good luck with your project. The scanner I had did a superb job scanning line
art and photos. You sound like you're more advanced than I am and so I'm sure
you'll be able to get good neg scans.