Laptop battery no longer gets charged

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 15th 11, 08:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]
Default Laptop battery no longer gets charged

I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which is
about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older software which
may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently I noticed that it's
no longer charging its battery. The battery is just over 1 year old, and
it replaced the original battery. I see the Power icon showing that I'm
running on the AC mains, and that the battery has 0% charge left on it,
but the icon doesn't show any charging going on.

I could possibly get another battery, but I'm afraid that maybe there's
nothing wrong with the battery, and the problem might lie with the
circuitry that charges the battery from the mains. Any way to test this?
The problem just occurred last week. Before that it was charging fine.

Yousuf Khan