HP ink cartridge charged at $12,400 per gallon

Old December 3rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob G

Default HP ink cartridge charged at $12,400 per gallon

Just bought an HP deskjet printer, needed a black cartridge.

$16.47 at Walmart, contains 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.

128 oz (in a gallon) divided by 0.17 and multiplied by $16.47 =
$12,400

Shame on HP!

Old December 3rd 07, 05:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:46:00 -0800 (PST), Bob G
wrote in
:

Just bought an HP deskjet printer, needed a black cartridge.

$16.47 at Walmart, contains 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.

128 oz (in a gallon) divided by 0.17 and multiplied by $16.47 =
$12,400

Shame on HP!

Did you factor in the cost of the 753 empty cartridges to put it in and
the cost of labour to fill them?

--
Nicolaas.

.... Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
Old December 3rd 07, 05:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Bob G wrote:
Just bought an HP deskjet printer, needed a black cartridge.

$16.47 at Walmart, contains 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.

128 oz (in a gallon) divided by 0.17 and multiplied by $16.47 =
$12,400

Shame on HP!

Naw. Reload your black cartridges yourself. Or it'll be shame-on-you. To
quote Our President: "Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice -- shame
on --." On the other hand, maybe it was "Make the pie higher."

Richard
Old December 3rd 07, 03:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

I understand your point but in some ways that is a dumb comparison.  You see if they reduced the price by 75% you would still pay over $3000 a gallon by your comparison.  That too seems a bit high.

Maybe the fly by niters get about $1200 a gallon.  They are selling you crap and you are also getting screwed.

Old December 3rd 07, 04:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob G

On Dec 3, 8:29 am, measekite wrote:
I understand your point but in some ways that is a dumb comparison. You see if they reduced the price by 75% you would still pay over $3000 a gallon by your comparison. That too seems a bit high.

Hard to believe that a cartridge of a definite substantial physical
size can only hold 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.
I have no doubt they make an enormous profit on cartridges. I bought
my printer for $34 - no way HP can manufacture such a complex machine
and sell it to Walmart for maybe $20 a copy.
Polaroid (RIP) used to sell cameras for very low prices, then you'd
have to pay $1 per shot for film. Same principle.
Old December 3rd 07, 07:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

Bob G wrote:

Just bought an HP deskjet printer, needed a black cartridge.

$16.47 at Walmart, contains 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.

128 oz (in a gallon) divided by 0.17 and multiplied by $16.47 =
$12,400

Shame on HP!

I refill for about $1 a cartridge, that's about 1/20th the cost of a
new Canon cartridge in Canada. So ink for me would be about 1/20th
of your $12,400, or about $620... Hmmmm, I just saved $11,780.
Another two gallons and I can get that theoretical Lexus just by using
refill ink. On the other hand, if I used Canon ink, guess who'd be
driving that Lexus for real: Canon CEOs!. . . Think about it ;-)

-Taliesyn
Old December 3rd 07, 08:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

Bob G wrote:

Just bought an HP deskjet printer, needed a black cartridge.

$16.47 at Walmart, contains 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.

128 oz (in a gallon) divided by 0.17 and multiplied by $16.47 =
$12,400

Shame on HP!

I refill for about $1 a cartridge, that's about 1/20th the cost of a
new Canon cartridge in Canada. So ink for me would be about 1/20th
of your $12,400, or about $620... Hmmmm, I just saved $11,780.
Another two gallons and I can get that theoretical Lexus just by using
refill ink. On the other hand, if I used Canon ink, guess who'd be
driving that Lexus for real: Canon CEOs!. . . Think about it ;-)

-Taliesyn

Taliesyn - for shame! Would you deny those hardworking, underpaid, kind
hearted, environmentally concerned Canon CEO's a cool ride? God forbid they
would have to drive a 10 year old Toyota Camry like yours truly. The
derision they would face in the high-altitude board rooms!!!! Of course,
with all the money I've saved in the last three years plus of refilling my
little bci-6 carts, I guess I could treat myself to one of those higher
priced Toyota offerings.

Old December 3rd 07, 10:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Bob G wrote:
Just bought an HP deskjet printer, needed a black cartridge.

$16.47 at Walmart, contains 0.17 liquid ounces of ink.

128 oz (in a gallon) divided by 0.17 and multiplied by $16.47 =
$12,400

Shame on HP!

Hey, they aren't all that bad. My #56 cart from Walmart costs $20.87 and
holds 0.68 ounces. That comes to $3928.47 per gallon. A bargain!

Whoops - forgot to figure in NY sales tax of 8%. That comes to an
additional $1.67 per cartridge, making the total cost $4242.82/gallon.

TJ

Old December 3rd 07, 11:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

Burt wrote:

Bob G wrote:

[...]

Let's do it, Burt! ... I'm off to my Lexus dealer to reserve my
purchase. I calculate I will have saved enough through not buying Canon
ink to pay for a Lexus in about 60 years. They say it's never too early
to make a reservation. Besides, I have to contend with all the Canon
CEOs . . .

-Taliesyn

Old December 3rd 07, 11:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"Taliesyn" wrote in message
Burt wrote:

Bob G wrote:

[...]

. . .

-Taliesyn

my problem with the Lexus purchase is what color to buy. My choices -
magenta, cyan, yellow, photo cyan, photo magenta, and black, do not all
exist in the choice of stock Lexus colors. Yes, like Henry Ford before
them, they do have black. If I want any of the other colors, however, we
might have to spring for a special paint job, and God knows how expensive
OEM Lexus paint is! Maybe we can get MIS, Alotofthings, or Hobbicolors to
go into the aftermarket automotive paint business. Cheaper by the gallon.
Now I expect the troll to chime in and tell us that aftermarket car paint
will fade quickly and cause clogs. We know, already, that OEM cars have
clogged the roads beyond anyone's endurance. Best, Taliesyn, to forego the
new Lexus purchase and save the planet from clogged roads.