direct x9

Old March 26th 04, 04:51 PM
Not Me

Default direct x9

Hey,

As I'm after a cheap card, direct x9 functionality it not gonna be top of my
list.. or is it? I hear the cheap cards are far too slow to do anything
with it anyway even if they can display nicer-looking stuff. But are there
any games that wouldn't run on a non-dx9 card? I've heard about people
having problems with e.g. Deux Ex 2. Is this true?

Far Cry for example on my battered old radeon 7500 displays the water as
mostly bright red. Would this be a directX issue? It has the latest drivers,
but I'd more likely put it down to the fact the card sucks eggs (crashes
an awful lot, latest drivers seem to conflict with MS office of all things!)

Cheers,
Chris

Old March 26th 04, 09:12 PM
R.V. Gronoff

Not Me a écrit :
Hey,

As I'm after a cheap card, direct x9 functionality it not gonna be top of my
list.. or is it? I hear the cheap cards are far too slow to do anything
with it anyway even if they can display nicer-looking stuff. But are there
any games that wouldn't run on a non-dx9 card? I've heard about people
having problems with e.g. Deux Ex 2. Is this true?

Deus Ex 2 looks great on my Ti4600.

--
Merci d'enlever le-munster-du-frigo pour me répondre par mail.
ICQ 248572128

"Every morning I wake up
on the wrong side of capitalism."
Old March 26th 04, 09:43 PM
Bruce Tyler

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:51:51 -0000, "Not Me"
wrote:

Hey,

As I'm after a cheap card, direct x9 functionality it not gonna be top of my
list.. or is it? I hear the cheap cards are far too slow to do anything
with it anyway even if they can display nicer-looking stuff. But are there
any games that wouldn't run on a non-dx9 card? I've heard about people
having problems with e.g. Deux Ex 2. Is this true?

Far Cry for example on my battered old radeon 7500 displays the water as
mostly bright red. Would this be a directX issue? It has the latest drivers,
but I'd more likely put it down to the fact the card sucks eggs (crashes
an awful lot, latest drivers seem to conflict with MS office of all things!)

Cheers,
Chris

Depending on your taste in brands, you may want an ATI based card or a
nVidia based card - One opposed to the other... But I am unsure of
what you mean by "a cheap card".. Haven't you got a card that fits
into that category right now..??? I don't know anything about ATI
cards but cheap cards will give cheap performance results...

Don't get into the DX9 syndrome. Just because a card can't take
advantage of all the features in DX9, does NOT mean that it will NOT
run in a DX9 environment... It simply means that it can't fully
exploit DX9... It sounds like you already sussed that one out - Good
approach..!!!

All current and past games should run under DX9. That is unless you
want to play games that are maybe in the same era as Blood2 or
earlier. Even then Blood2 will still run but it runs only under
certain settings and it may not even be DX9 stopping it from running
well... I get to play one hell of a lot of the latest games as they
get released and I have very little troubles with any of them. As a
matter of fact, most of the problems are not DX or graphics driver
related. They are from within the games themselves. That's what update
patches are for... I too have had things like the "water" problem you
descibed above. Somtimes it can be driver related and other times you
need to look for update patches. If they are widely known problems,
the games people usually try to address them.

I tried DeusEx2 about a month ago. I had it for a while but have too
many games installed and only half finished so I had to wait for a
while before getting around to it. I played it for one single day,
just until I was escaping the building it starts off in,, through a
back entrance then grew tired of it and uninstalled it... I never did
finish DeusEx the original though, so I reinstalled it and am present
up to the Cathedral level. Last time I only just finshed the Hong Kong
level. I might give DeusEx2 another try after this. I did notice it
was quite hard on my graphics system though, as was the case when I
first played the original a couple of years ago...

From my limited knowledge on ATI cards, I would say you should get
nothing shy of a 9600/9700 series to start to appreciate good graphics
at a moderate cost. On the nVidia side, you have to really apply the
noodle (brain).. In some cases, newer can be cheaper but newer may not
be better... It really depends on where the magic line between cost
and performance is..

Make sense - No..!!! Let me explain...

While there are still some "Ti" series cards out there, which are not
fully DX9 compliant, they still represent great performance but are
still more costly than some of the lesser FX cards. Based on cost
alone you may be tempted to go for one of these earlier generation FX
cards but may be disappointed with the results. I simply could not
imagine you totally enjoying DeusEx2 with an FX5200 unless you find
some sort of magic minimum setting at a reasonable resolution. I would
recommend an FX5700 as a starting point here but the the "cost" thing
starts to kick in. Of course, if you can still find a Ti4200/4400/4600
at a greatly reduced price - go for it... Bang for buck, these may
well be the best choices of all...

If you are a dedicated ATI man (and I couldn't blame for being one)
then it may well pay you to stick to them. I am sure that the older
ones now are getting cheaper by the day.... Stacked up against some of
the equivalent nVidia crop, they more than hold their own too...
Old March 29th 04, 09:11 AM
Darkfalz

"Not Me" wrote in message
Hey,

As I'm after a cheap card, direct x9 functionality it not gonna be top of

my
list.. or is it? I hear the cheap cards are far too slow to do anything
with it anyway even if they can display nicer-looking stuff. But are

there
any games that wouldn't run on a non-dx9 card? I've heard about people
having problems with e.g. Deux Ex 2. Is this true?

Far Cry for example on my battered old radeon 7500 displays the water as
mostly bright red. Would this be a directX issue? It has the latest

drivers,
but I'd more likely put it down to the fact the card sucks eggs

(crashes
an awful lot, latest drivers seem to conflict with MS office of all

things!)

Well the general consensus is that if you got a cheap DX9 compatible card
like the FX 5200, you'd have DX9 support however it's too slow to really
play any DX9 titles.