How to calculate MIPS, GFLOPS of a processor.

Old June 1st 11, 08:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Anand

Default How to calculate MIPS, GFLOPS of a processor.

Dear all,

I am newbie to this forum. I need to calculate processor
speed in MIPS. I got a formula like
MIPS = clock rate / (average cycles per instruction(CPI) *
10^6). I know calculation of clock rate and also I know CPI = total
cycles in the program / instruction count, but I need to know how to
calculate this CPI value.
I am working in user level of OS and using windows, VC++
compiler, c or c++ programming languages. I need to calculate this
MIPS value, I came to know it is tough to calculate. Please help me
out to solve this issue if possible and if not possible to calculate,
please tell me the reasons, so it can save my time.