ICH5R boot (F6) drivers stopped working?

Old March 28th 04, 08:32 PM
John Everett

Default ICH5R boot (F6) drivers stopped working?

I have a 8KNXP rev. 2 board running two SATA drives, configured as RAID 0,
attached off the Intel on-chip ICH5R/82801ER interface. A DVD+RW is the
master device on the secondary IDE. Aside from the floppy, no other drives.

I've actually had this box running for a while. When I first got it, I
installed Windows Server 2003 on the box (using the 82801ER SATA RAID boot
F6 drivers). No problem. Then, I installed Windows XP on the box (using
the 82801ER SATA RAID boot F6 drivers). Again, no problem. I even made up
a PowerQuest Drive Image 7 boot CDR for disk image restore with the 82801ER
SATA RAID boot F6 drivers built-in to the image. Again, no problem -- until
recently.

I now want to do an XP re-install and I'm trying to get the F6 drivers to
work, but everytime I try I get a "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" with a STOP
0x000000ED (0x89xx1030, 0xC0000010, 0x00000000) error. I push F6, stick in
the floppy, select 82801ER SATA RAID, the drivers seem to load, but right
after it says "Windows is starting", I get the BSOD. I get the same results
with XP Pro, Server 2K3, even the Drive Image 7 CDR I made. Same BSOD
everytime.

It's like the install isn't taking the drivers. Yet, I've re-downloaded the
files. Re-formatted and re-written the disks.
I've tried the 3.0 version of the boot F6 drivers and the newer 3.5 version.
I've even tried changing BIOS versions including FE, FG, & FH. I've tried
working bootable CDR I made with the drivers burned onto the image.

And, through all of the failed install attempts to access my SATA RAID, the
existing installed XP is still working fine. I can look into Device Manager
of my still running XP and I see "82801ER SATA RAID" functioning properly.

Anyone have any idea of what I might be missing?

Thanks,
John