A networking question I should know the answer to, but ...

Old June 30th 04, 07:19 AM
Marshall Schuon

Default A networking question I should know the answer to, but ...

And I think I probably do, what with all the reading over all the
years, but ...

I finally *actually* want to do a wireless network of this 700XL with
my old Dell XPS R450.

I have a cable modem, and I assume I need to hook that to a router.
But where do I go from there? Do I need cards for both computers (the
700XL has what the specs say is "10/100 ethernet")?

And then what about my Norton Firewall and AV software? Does it need
to be on both computers? Or ... ?

Any pitfalls? Anything to watch out for? The Gateway runs XP, the
Dell has Win95 SE.

Thanks so much for your help, and apologies for being benighted.

Marshall
Old June 30th 04, 10:59 AM
leslie

:
: I finally *actually* want to do a wireless network of this 700XL with
: my old Dell XPS R450.
:
: I have a cable modem, and I assume I need to hook that to a router.

Yes.

: But where do I go from there? Do I need cards for both computers (the
: 700XL has what the specs say is "10/100 ethernet")?
:
That's an ethernet card, aka NIC (Network Interface Card). It may
actually be on the motherboard.

If the R450 doesn't have a NIC, you'll have to buy one. They're available
for $ 10- $15 US.

: And then what about my Norton Firewall and AV software? Does it need
: to be on both computers? Or ... ?
:

Yes.

: Any pitfalls? Anything to watch out for?

Be sure you have software to reove scumware; e.g.:

o Ad-Aware
o Spybot Search & Destroy

An alternate browser such as FireFox, available from www.mozilla.org.

: The Gateway runs XP, the Dell has Win95 SE.
:
: Thanks so much for your help, and apologies for being benighted.
:

Here's a couple of online guides that should answer some of your
other questions:

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/prin...d,86935,00.asp
PCWorld.com - The No-Hassle Networking Guide

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
PracticallyNetworked.com

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email