Networking A7N8X-E Deluxe (wifi card) and Windows NT Laptop

Old December 19th 04, 04:04 PM
Blobby

Default Networking A7N8X-E Deluxe (wifi card) and Windows NT Laptop

I have purchased an ASUS wifi card for this mobo and would like to
network it with my work laptop (Dell lattitude D600) that runs on
Windows NT. The wifi card instructions say that it is only compatible
with W98se, W2K, Win ME and WinXP. My home pc runs on WinXP Home. I've
had a look around for an PCMCIA card that supports Win NT without any
luck. Is there any hope and what PCMCIA card would I need?

Old December 22nd 04, 03:47 PM
Paul

In article .com,
"Blobby" wrote:

I have purchased an ASUS wifi card for this mobo and would like to
network it with my work laptop (Dell lattitude D600) that runs on
Windows NT. The wifi card instructions say that it is only compatible
with W98se, W2K, Win ME and WinXP. My home pc runs on WinXP Home. I've
had a look around for an PCMCIA card that supports Win NT without any
luck. Is there any hope and what PCMCIA card would I need?

Look for a wireless Ethernet bridge ?

If the Dell laptop has an Ethernet connector, this external
box prepares it for Wifi. This turns the laptop into a
portable computer, rather than a true laptop, as you'll
need a powering solution. But at least it avoids having to
drag a long Ethernet cord around the house.

http://www.linksys.com/splash/wet54g_splash.asp

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-810%2b

No idea how well it works, it is just the first thing I
found in Google by searching for "wifi for ethernet".

HTH,
Paul
Old December 22nd 04, 06:33 PM
DanO

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but why not simply upgrade the OS
on the laptop to Win2K?

oups.com...