P4P800-E Deluxe -- Dead after Standby, no POST on reboot

Old August 18th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Blaustein

Default P4P800-E Deluxe -- Dead after Standby, no POST on reboot

Hi,

My system is a P4P800-E Deluxe in an Antec case with Antec power supply.
P4, 3.0 Ghz. 2GB Mushkin RAM. Windows XP Home. I built this system in
June 2004 and it's worked perfectly ever since. Until now...

All of a sudden, when I enter Standby for a long period of time, the PC
won't wake up. Or, I should say it only partially wakes up. The hard
drives start to spin, but there is no video. The keyboard is unresponsive.
CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing. The reset button does nothing. I have to turn
off the power and when I reboot, nothing happens. I have to remove the
battery, unplug the power and short the CLR BIOS pins to clear the BIOS. I
then reboot, reset my BIOS settings and all is well... until the next time.

If I enter Standby for only a few minutes, then the system will wake up. If
I turn the system off, I can restart without problems, even if the system
sits overnight with no power.

I replaced the battery and was hoping that would fix this, but it didn't.

ASUS Probe shows BIOS 1009.003

Until just the other day, Standby worked without difficulty. I should
mention that I have all XP patches and updates applied. Could a recent
Windows Update cause this?

I'll be most grateful for any help here.

Thanks very much.

John

Old August 19th 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
spacebug

John Blaustein wrote:

Hi,

My system is a P4P800-E Deluxe in an Antec case with Antec power supply.
P4, 3.0 Ghz. 2GB Mushkin RAM. Windows XP Home. I built this system in
June 2004 and it's worked perfectly ever since. Until now...

All of a sudden, when I enter Standby for a long period of time, the PC
won't wake up. Or, I should say it only partially wakes up. The hard
drives start to spin, but there is no video. The keyboard is
unresponsive.
CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing. The reset button does nothing. I have to turn
off the power and when I reboot, nothing happens. I have to remove the
battery, unplug the power and short the CLR BIOS pins to clear the BIOS.
I then reboot, reset my BIOS settings and all is well... until the next
time.

have you checked for bad Capacitors on the mainboard ?
see for more info and some pictures.
you mainboard got the problems for this problem.

Old August 19th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Blaustein

Spacebug,

The capacitors all look fine -- no leaking, no bulging.

Other than this Standby issue, everything is working perfectly.

John

Old August 19th 06, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:57:45 -0700, "John Blaustein"
wrote:

[...]

I think your Power Supply Unit is the problem. How many Watts?
It may be too weak now. Try a bigger supply, at least 450W.
Capacitors aging and now maybe you reach the limit of the PSU.
I use my P4P800-E Deluxe P4 3.2 GHz with a 550W Antec PSU
since july 2004.

Old August 19th 06, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

In article , "John
Blaustein" wrote:

[...]

I'd say the problem was the motherboard. Something in the
Southbridge is not working properly. The system RESET
switch connects directly to the Southbridge. The jumper
for CLRTC is also connected with the Southbridge. Have you
ever had any problem with time keeping on the board, like the
clock in the BIOS is stopped or won't keep time ? What
I cannot tell you, is how good Asus is at diagnosing problems
like this (using structural test, it would be easy, but I'm
not at all sure they do stuff like that). In any case, give
them all the symptoms, just as you have done above, when you
send the board to them.

Paul
Old August 19th 06, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Blaustein

Ken and Paul,

Thank you for your replies.

Ken... the power supply is Antec 350W.

Paul... no problem with the clock -- it keeps the time perfectly.

I have found the source of the problem, but I'm not sure why it is causing
the problem.

I unplugged my external USB hub -- this is where I attach three external
hard drives. I rebooted and then StartTurn Off ComputerStandby. The
computer sat all night in that condition. When I pressed the Space Bar this
morning, the computer woke up and all is well! Clearly, the external USB
hub is the culprit, but I'm not sure why.

The external USB hub is attached to the USB header that was included with
the motherboard. The USB header is attached to the USB_78 connector on the
MB. The USB hub has its own power supply which I've left powered-on when
the PC went into Standby mode. I'm thinking that either the hub itself is
causing this problem, or having the hub powered-on by its own power supply
is the cause.

I am also wondering if I should attach the external USB hub to a connector
other than the USB_78 connector. Do you guys think that might make a
difference?

I am also curious why -- with the USB hub connected -- the PC would wake up
from Standby when it had only been in Standby for a short time, but when it
had been in Standby overnight, then I got the "dead" symptoms.

With three external HDs plugged into this external hub, I don't know if the
hub power supply is needed. (The three HDs are all AC powered -- connected
to AC via their own adapters.) Is it necessary to use the hub's external AC
adapter?

I will do some more testing, but I feel much better now knowing the problem
isn't motherboard-related.

I'll post back if I find out anything more.

John

Old August 19th 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:51:14 -0700, "John Blaustein"
wrote:

Ken... the power supply is Antec 350W.

Very low Watt capacity for that computer.

Old August 19th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

In article , "John
Blaustein" wrote:

[...]

If the USB hub was powered all the time, maybe there is
some interaction between the USB power from the hub and the
motherboard. The USB power inside the hub, should have diodes
in the path to prevent backflow. I don't know if changing the
USBPWR jumper setting would make any difference to the problem or
not (the +5VSB versus +5 setting on the motherboard). Maybe
if a high level signal was sent on the USB wires from the hub,
that is enough to make the Southbridge crazy ? You would think it
could take that, as USB stuff bus powered by +5VSB should
do the same thing.

What made me conclude it was the Southbridge, is having to
remove the CMOS battery. The symptoms suggest the Southbridge
is going into micro-latchup (like preventing the SYS_RESET
signal from working).

You might try using an add-in PCI USB card and plug your
hub into that. Much less likely to cause a problem then.

Hard drive enclosures would come in two types. If the drives
are 3.5", then the hard drive has its own power supply, and
so the USB interface won't be an issue. If the drive
enclosure is for 2.5", those tend to be bus powered, and
draw up to 1 amp of current from USB, to spin up the drive.
The 2.5" enclosures don't seem to use adapters. Unplugging
the hub power adapter should be fine if all the drives
are self-powered 3.5" types. Then the hub should switch
over to bus power, and the 3.5" hard drive adapter boards
should not need a lot of current.

Still, I'd be reaching for a PCI USB card if this was my problem.
That will help protect you against an ICH5 failure, and those
failures are related to USB ports. Using a PCI USB card is
just a safer alternative to using ICH5 USB ports.

This is what happens to ICH5/ICH5R (a major latchup failure).
The burn mark here lines up with the USB power pads, if you
check the pinout of the chip in an Intel datasheet:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...light=usb+port

Paul
Old August 19th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Blaustein

Paul and Ken,

Again, thanks for the replies.

Ken... I think you are right about my PS being a bit underpowered. On the
other hand, all the fan speeds and temps appear to be OK. And -- other than
this problem -- the system works perfectly.

Paul... I think you may have identified the problem regarding the USB hub
being powered all the time. I notice that when the PC is either off or in
Standby, the case fan and the CPU fan still turn, and the little lights on
the front of the case and on the CD/DVD drive are still on. The hub is
sending power to the MB. I gather from your post that the hub should not be
sending power to the MB. I must confess the hub was inexpensive, purchased
on eBay.

My external HDs are Western Digital retail drives -- two 500GB and one
250GB. Each has its own AC power adapter. For info:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=232

Since the WD HDs have their own power, I gather from your message that it is
not necessary for me to use the USB hub's AC adapter -- the HDs have their
own power so don't need power from either the PC or the hub itself. Is that
correct?

I am going to test Standby with no external power to the external USB hub.
Also, I am going to plug the hub into the USB connector directly attached to
the MB rather than to the USB header connector. I'd imagine that all the
USB connections are the same, but I may as well use the one right on the MB
(on the back of the computer where everything else plugs in).

Your suggestion of a PCI USB card sounds good. In fact, if I get a PCI USB
card with three ports, I won't need the hub at all.

John

SNIP

Old August 19th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Blaustein

Paul,

Looking at PCI USB cards at newegg.com, I see 4-port cards for $6 to $60 --
a big range. They all have similar specs -- is there much of a difference?

John