Advice for a new printer please

Old October 6th 09, 04:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nick[_9_]

Default Advice for a new printer please

For use in a SOHO situation.
For years I have used HP inkjet printers and have generally been happy with
them.
Reasonable cheap to run and genuine carts easily available
Throughput is 2-300 ppm general text/envelopes/card etc and 20-30 photos pm.

My old HP is showing signs of ill health and am looking for a replacement
before it dies.
As said I am quite happy with HP, my only gripe being that the software
provided is bloatware and often ineffective.

Requirements a
HP type paper feed, ie. paper goes in and comes out at the front (this is a
definite requirement).
Ethernet, or perhaps wireless connection. Perhaps both. 2 college kids with
a voracious appetite for paper.

Scanner/copier not absolutely required but would be considered if space
permits.
Fax def. not required.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
TIA

Nick
UK.

Old October 6th 09, 07:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nick[_9_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message
In article ,
"Nick" wrote:

My old HP is showing signs of ill health and am looking for a replacement
before it dies.
As said I am quite happy with HP, my only gripe being that the software
provided is bloatware and often ineffective.

Well, then, you'll find Brother software a breath of fresh air. And
you'll come away wondering why you put up with HP software like you did.

You didn't say:

color or b/w?

Inkjet or laser?

Thanks very much.
I did say inkjet in my op but you have snipped that bit. I had presumed that
also inferred colour. With a U.
Nick.

Old October 6th 09, 10:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article ,
says...
[...]

If you still like HP, check out the OfficeJet series. Most still support
Win2K even. They also usually offer a 'corporate' driver (you may need
to download it) that is just the basics. No status-bar icon, photo
software, etc...

Many of the OfficeJets have Ethernet built-in. Many also have bluetooth
and/or wireless. Duplexer's are standard on many. Higher-end ones even
have mulitple paper trays.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old October 7th 09, 03:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ[_3_]

Nick wrote:
[...]

I am in the US, and am totally unaware of what might be available in the
UK. That said...

You didn't mention which HP you are using now, or how old it is. You
should be aware that here in the US, the newer the HP printer, the less
economical it may be to use. Modern cartridges may cost less, but they
are often smaller than their older cousins. This is especially true of
the lower-cost printers. If the printer is to see relatively heavy use,
it usually pays off in the long run to pay a bit more up-front for one
with a lower cost-per-page.

I have no experience with new printers. I bought my last new printer
over 20 years ago. The last printer I bought, more than a year ago, was
an Officejet 6110 that was purchased used on Ebay. However, I can say
that the Officejet seems to be much more rugged than the same-vintage
PSC 2110 that it replaced. Judging from that and the limited information
you gave above, if I were you I'd gave an Officejet careful consideration.

TJ
--
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;

J.R.R.Tolkien

New MFD Printer advice please Planner Printers 0 February 11th 07 03:14 PM
Replacment printer advice Gordon MacPherson Printers 7 November 26th 06 07:40 AM
Printer advice. Bill Printers 0 November 9th 06 08:22 AM
HP Printer advice Jack Ricci Printers 0 March 20th 06 06:39 AM
Printer Ink Advice Susan Morgan Printers 52 May 2nd 05 04:16 PM