Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

Old June 6th 12, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mortimer[_2_]

Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:11:08 -0500, "R. C. White"
wrote:

Hi, Ken.

...why don't you dump the terrible Windows Live Mail...

I've heard that advice many times over the last several years, especially
since MS killed their part of Usenet and crippled WLM. But OE/WM/WLM
have
been such a large part of my computing environment for so long (since
1995!)
that I just hate to give it up.

Even though you have the extra work of putting in the s? Both in
newsgroups and E-mail?

Your choice of course, but for e-mail you might want to consider
Microsoft Outlook, which, as far as I'm concerned, is more like
Outlook Express than Windows Live Mail is. And I like Forte Agent for
a newsreader.

Outlook stores everything in one huge .pst file, which is where I came into
this discussion - one file per email versus one file per email folder or
even one file for *all* folders. This makes it prone to corruption - and,
yes, I've had to repair corrupted psts and it's a) very slow, and b) not
100% perfect. Also Outlook seems to be more prone to getting its
send/receive processes in a muddle, failing to send/recive to specific
accounts - more so than for OE/WM/WLM. And it can't save email accounts to
..iaf filews (or equivalent) and import those, which makes it a pain when
migrating from one PC to another.

Apart from that, it's good: its UI is good and it has extras like calendar
and reminders.

How easy is it with Outlook to export specific messages (eg specific
folders) from one PC to another to synchronise two PCs' email sets from time
to time? Is it as simple as copying the PST or is more complictaed? With
WM/WLM you can slect/drag/drop messages to a shared folder and then (on the
other PC looking at the shared folder) drag those .eml files from there to
the email folder. Slightly clunky but 100% reliable.

Having all the emails in one big file means the whole thing needs to be
copied to backup everytime you back up the emails, whereas when you backup
WM/WLM, only the new/moved emails need to be copied to backup disk - eg with
SyncToy.

Old June 6th 12, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene Wirchenko

wrote:

Hi, Ken.

...why don't you dump the terrible Windows Live Mail...

I've heard that advice many times over the last several years, especially
since MS killed their part of Usenet and crippled WLM. But OE/WM/WLM have
been such a large part of my computing environment for so long (since 1995!)
that I just hate to give it up. It's kind of like an old faithful dog that
needs to be put out of its misery - but I just can't bear to do that, yet.

But the dog won't hunt.

Perhaps after the transition to Win8 is complete in a few months, it will be
the time for me to investigate the several alternatives recommended by you
and others. I do appreciate the advice; I'm just not (quite) ready to
follow it.

I use Forte Agent myself. I like it, and I follow over 150
newsgroups. (Yes, I admit that some of them have little/no traffic,
but some have substantial amounts. rec.arts.sf-written has 875,220
posts on my system.)

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Old June 7th 12, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , R. C.
White writes:
Hi, John.

Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that
stores each email as a separate real file? (In real
folders/directories?)

Yes! As pointed out by Mortimer a few posts down...

Windows Mail, OE's successor that was integrated into Windows Vista
over 5 years ago, discarded OE's All-In-One humongous DBX file approach
and introduced a new scheme. Other more-techie users can describe the
details better than I can, but in WM, each email message is saved in a
separate .eml file, and each newsgroup post in its own .nws file.
Windows Live Mail continues this new scheme.

[]
Thanks for that information. Definitely food for thought!

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I
use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)[email protected]+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Old June 7th 12, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene Wirchenko

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])

I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Old June 7th 12, 11:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Gene Wirchenko
writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

[]
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

[]
Wow, do _those_ store individual emails/posts in individual files then?
(If so, does it extend to Eudora OSE, which is really Thunderbird?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)[email protected]+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Old June 8th 12, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])

I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

I use Thunderbird and Agent.

I switched to Thunderbird because it has a open email folder format. It was a
PITA to lose a decade of email history.
Old June 8th 12, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:32:17 +0100, John Williamson

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I
Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

I use Thunderbird and Agent.

I switched to Thunderbird because it has a open email folder format. It was a
PITA to lose a decade of email history.

If you switched from Outlook or OE, as long as the .pst file (or its
backup) isn't corrupt, you can import all your e-mail into Thunderbird.

No, it was PMMail.
Old June 8th 12, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene Wirchenko

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:39:39 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Gene Wirchenko
writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I

Cue or queue the suggestions...

[]
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

[]
Wow, do _those_ store individual emails/posts in individual files then?
(If so, does it extend to Eudora OSE, which is really Thunderbird?)

Oops! I missed that bit. No, Eudora and Agent both put messages
of a mailbox/newsgroup in a file. Each mailbox/newsgroup has its own
file.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko