What do you guys use for boot management? Partition management?

Old July 22nd 09, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Wookie[_2_]

Default What do you guys use for boot management? Partition management?

Easy BCD for boot manager. It's good, easy to use and free.

"Andrew Hamilton" wrote in message
I know this is OT for this group, but I figure that guys who know how
to build their own PCs are a pretty smart group, and I'm hoping that
some of you guys can help me here.

I'm looking for a boot manager that allows me to have multiples OS
partitions on my C drive, but with the inactive partitions hidden, and
an easy way to select the OS to boot when you turn on your system.

So, in early 2008 I bought System Commander 9, but never installed
it. Finally this weekend I installed it so I could have multiple OS's
installed, including Win XP, Windows 7, and maybe Linux. But I wanted
to have each install go into its own partition, and I wanted the
inactive OS partitions to be hidden. That was the promise of System
Commander, but the reality is that it has a poorly designed, confusing
interface. And, it doesn't even do a good job of enabling you to do
clean installs of Windows in more than one partition.

The company no longer sells this product, and I'm not surprised. I
would never touch anything else made by this company, Avanquest. Of
course, I can't get my money back because I bought this over a year
ago.

A google search came up with Acronis Disk Director 10 and several
other products. Disk Director 10 sounds like it would do everything I
need, but then I read the reviews on Amazon. All over the place! Some
people love the product, others absolutely hated it. I also checked
out the reviews at newgg, and they weren't as bad as on amazon, but
there were enough people who also hated the product. I would like to
buy this product, but now I'm scared to.

The problem with user reviews is that you have no way to know if the
person writing the review knows what the heck they are talking about,
and boot management is certainly not for newbies.

Also, what do you guys use for partition management. Somehow I
deleted one of my partitions with all my music files, and I need to
restore it, because all the files on that partition were not backed
up.

-AH