Powerline Ethernet, inconsistent performance

Old October 3rd 12, 11:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
David[_25_]

Default Powerline Ethernet, inconsistent performance

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 15:42:37 -0700, Loren Pechtel wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 19:08:36 -0700 (PDT), Flasherly
wrote:

Seriously, when I last looked for a breaker I called a place quite a
distance away, a big bunker spread over acres and acres of land in an
industrial area. A private home salvage operation pulling materials
from homes that had been through fire & catastrophe and other acts of
nature. I found a 60-amp 220V to replace the dryer's 30-amp service for
$10, maybe 15 bucks. I like plugging a couple welders into it, and
wasn't in the mood to play the local hardware stores $1000 for a ef'n
fuse or rewire in a separate service.

You must like hot wires!

Or smoking wall framing.
Old October 3rd 12, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

wrote:

Seriously, when I last looked for a breaker I called a place quite a
distance away, a big bunker spread over acres and acres of land in an
industrial area. A private home salvage operation pulling materials
from homes that had been through fire & catastrophe and other acts of
nature. I found a 60-amp 220V to replace the dryer's 30-amp service for
$10, maybe 15 bucks. I like plugging a couple welders into it, and
wasn't in the mood to play the local hardware stores $1000 for a ef'n
fuse or rewire in a separate service.

You must like hot wires!

Or smoking wall framing.

I doubt that's going to be hot enough to smoke. What it might do to
the framing over the years, though...
Old October 3rd 12, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Flasherly[_2_]

On Oct 2, 6:42 pm, Loren Pechtel wrote:

You must like hot wires!

Gaseous, too, acetylene and oxygen tanks. Nasty, nasty stuff in the
heat -- leathers and a face mask, banging and chipping on something
before incessantly grinding away in a spray of slag -- almost as much
in itself a process to formed metallurgical substances, by testing
subsequently in stages a shape for strength. Neighbors take one look
at the gear, however, hurry the children inside and act as if I'm all
about decapitating cats. I've no inkling whatsoever why, and it's
utterly pretentious poppy-cock on their part to act that way;- the
only difference between common woodworking garage tools, is they don't
exuberantly throw finished table craft down the driveway, into the
street, to see if it breaks upon impact.
Old October 4th 12, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Flasherly[_2_]

On Oct 3, 6:15 pm, Loren Pechtel wrote:

Or smoking wall framing.

I doubt that's going to be hot enough to smoke. What it might do to
the framing over the years, though...

Conduit. Besides a short run outside at the breaker box, twice up and
down, inside galvanized pipe across 10' linearly from the dryer.
Easily enough physically to grasp for heat, although do have to be
careful of appliance people if there's a great sale w/ free delivery/
setup -- a fit between adjacent 220V compressor, washer, freezer, or W/
H. Neat unless I catch them doing the ol' double-take.
Old October 6th 12, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
John

On 9/30/2012 2:45 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:48 pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've had a powerline ethernet setup for several years at my home. I
usually find their performance more consistent than Wi-Fi, especially
when streaming video. But right now I'm not experiencing usual conditions.

I'm currently using 3 adapters distributed throughout my home. Current
iteration uses all adapters based on the Powerline HD 200Mbps standard.
Usually I'd be getting over 100Mbps on all adapters, occasionally
dropping down to 50Mbps in the worst cases. Nowadays I'm seeing it drop
down to 5Mbps even.

I haven't added too many new electrical appliances my home, as far as I
can tell, but the quality of the electrical lines seems to have gotten
noisier for no apparent reason. What can be done to improve the
situation? The house is 30 years old.

So's mine, 10 older. I've heard is the Romex electrical conduit from
that period is better, perhaps heavier for better efficiency. Ground
faults and fuses are the most apparent changes in code, although I'm
more into "as is," no bank inspections, and money on the barrel when
it comes to sales. Not that I'm scared of electricity, but when I'm
in a hardware and ask a question about electrical replacement parts, I
can usually understand bull**** is when someone's trying to feed it
me. If it were me, I'd want to know what exactly might noise be --
intermittent motor usages, the washer or dryer, my w/heater I wired to
run 30minutes twice a day from a timer box;- semi-intermittent, the AC
unit and refrigerator, lights and entertainment gear. Obvious timing
correlations upon a premise of inducement of noise into the wirings
within. Then there's w/out. I once got so ****ed at the TELCO, I
told them I'd set the goddamn modem up on a card table, in the back
yard, from dangling wires from the telephone pole. They wanted me
first to pay monthly money for an added service contract, "just in
case" there was a home issue apart from their responsibilities leading
to the junction box outside. Nevermind (that it gets worse). Next. How
do you measure signal strength and from what level of ambient floor-
level noise, or run-length carrier drops to know if location will
affect performance. When I called in for another internet
subscription option, ditched the TELCO for a cell phone, they brought
along a laptop, which I'd presume measured such ratios for acceptable
quality. Not that I'd try on him such measures, I'm making up, those
guys are always subcontractors, these days, and it's hot and dirty
work without much slack. I usually keep quiet until I see it
functioning. And, by then, all they're interested in is hauling ass.

Don't know what you are on dude but you really should fess up or at
least investigate the principal of paragraphs ... did you really hold
your breath the entire time you typed that?

John
Old October 6th 12, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 02/10/2012 12:37 AM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
Have you added any light dimmers in any of the branch circuits?
Those throw off a horrendous amount of RFI, at least the ones meant
for incandescent lights. They turn nice smooth AC sine waves into
truncated sine waves (with the feet and tales chopped off), and the
fourier transform of the result has frequencies all over the spectrum.
I once installed a ceiling fan in the kitchen of a house I had, and when
my car approached the carport, which was 70 feet from the kitchen,
the output of the car's AM radio turned to noise if the fan's dimmer
was on.

*TimDaniels*

No, nothing like that has been added.

However, I did fix a broken light bulb socket in the basement. It's just
one of those simple pull-cord outlets, with no dimmers of any kind on
it. I doubt that would have had anything to do with it.

Yousuf Khan
Old October 6th 12, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
Have you added any light dimmers in any of the branch circuits?
Those throw off a horrendous amount of RFI, at least the ones meant
for incandescent lights. They turn nice smooth AC sine waves into
truncated sine waves (with the feet and tales chopped off), and the
fourier transform of the result has frequencies all over the spectrum.
I once installed a ceiling fan in the kitchen of a house I had, and when
my car approached the carport, which was 70 feet from the kitchen,
the output of the car's AM radio turned to noise if the fan's dimmer
was on.

No, nothing like that has been added.

However, I did fix a broken light bulb socket in the basement. It's just
one of those simple pull-cord outlets, with no dimmers of any kind on
it. I doubt that would have had anything to do with it.

Famous last words. If you want to be thorough in your investigation,
try disconnecting the fixture from the branch circuit. (Remember to first
throw open the circuit breaker for that branch, though. :-) )
If that branch does not carry the Powerline signal, try just throwing the
circuit breaker.

*TimDaniels*
Old October 7th 12, 07:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Okay, here's an update on the situation. I pulled the Powerline adapter
from the location it's been in for years, and put into a different power
plug location a little further away. Fixed the issue instantly! Now I've
gone from 5Mbps back upto over 100Mbps again! Just had to reposition the
the router a little and added a longer ethernet cable between the router
and the powerline adapter. The longer ethernet cable is a also a going
across a bit visibly on the floor, but at least the performance is back
upto where it used to be!

Yousuf Khan

Old October 7th 12, 08:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 02:30:28 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Okay, here's an update on the situation. I pulled the Powerline adapter
from the location it's been in for years, and put into a different power
plug location a little further away.

Have you tried a power cycle on it in the original position?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old October 8th 12, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 07/10/2012 3:00 AM, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 02:30:28 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Okay, here's an update on the situation. I pulled the Powerline adapter
from the location it's been in for years, and put into a different power
plug location a little further away.

Have you tried a power cycle on it in the original position?

I might try it back in its original position sometime later, likely
it'll work based on Murphy's Law, but right now I'm just happy that it's
working well at its current location.

Yousuf Khan