Hard Drive Simply Not Dying....

Old February 4th 13, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

Default Hard Drive Simply Not Dying....

Samsung 80G HD has a SMART warning error of future failure (Back up
the data warning) during boot-up and done all kind of HD utiliity test
showed no sign of sector error or any kind. One time it was dead not
responding during boot-up, very quite and no sign of anything going
inside of HD. I thought finally the time to throw away....But I
rebooted and carefully shacked slowly and heard click, the sign of
the cylinder rotation. HD came alive but this time without SMART
warning error. Looks like SMART warning appeares as primary HD ....
Old February 4th 13, 07:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Feb 4, 2:01 am, Red Cloud wrote:
Samsung 80G HD has a SMART warning error of future failure (Back up
the data warning) during boot-up and done all kind of HD utiliity test
showed no sign of sector error or any kind. One time it was dead not
responding during boot-up, very quite and no sign of anything going
inside of HD. I thought finally the time to throw away....But I
rebooted and carefully shacked slowly and heard click, the sign of
the cylinder rotation. HD came alive but this time without SMART
warning error. Looks like SMART warning appeares as primary HD ....

Can format it, keeping in mind Samsung's format and diagnostic
utilities, change out the MBR for restructuring partitions, maybe an
OS arbitrator. IOW - impose on it by testing for failure. Or, just
let sleeping dogs lie between that eventuality it will fail at some
future point. Potential horror story, though, it you don't back up
anything worth keeping, to be sure, either way.
Old February 4th 13, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 04/02/2013 2:01 AM, Red Cloud wrote:

Samsung 80G HD has a SMART warning error of future failure (Back up
the data warning) during boot-up and done all kind of HD utiliity test
showed no sign of sector error or any kind. One time it was dead not
responding during boot-up, very quite and no sign of anything going
inside of HD. I thought finally the time to throw away....But I
rebooted and carefully shacked slowly and heard click, the sign of
the cylinder rotation. HD came alive but this time without SMART
warning error. Looks like SMART warning appeares as primary HD ....

There are many SMART warnings possible, which one is it? What utility
are you using to read the SMART error? If you don't have one, then try
these ones:

Hard Disk Sentinel: Simply the best utility for disk monitoring on the
market, the free version is good enough, but you may eventually find you
want the registered version if you find it useful enough.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Crystal Disk Info: the best completely free utility. Very simple
interface, no bells and whistles, but very compact, and if you can read
and interpret your own SMART readings, it's all you ever need.

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html

Yousuf Khan
Old February 4th 13, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

The white man did it.
Old February 11th 13, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

On Feb 4, 2:17*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Physical error other than sector error can't be detect by SMART.
Sector error could be caused by bad connection between cylinder and
chassis. My SMART error could be caused by that, and now the HD has
no SMART error warning so far and everything is fine...

Old February 12th 13, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/02/2013 2:40 AM, Red Cloud wrote:
Physical error other than sector error can't be detect by SMART.
Sector error could be caused by bad connection between cylinder and
chassis. My SMART error could be caused by that, and now the HD has
no SMART error warning so far and everything is fine...

You'd be surprised by all the kinds of physical errors that SMART can
detect. It'll detect spin-up errors, just off the top of my head. It'll
detect electronic interface errors too, which nothing else can detect.

Yousuf Khan
Old February 12th 13, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

On Feb 11, 5:40*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 11/02/2013 2:40 AM, Red Cloud wrote:

Physical error other than sector error can't be detect by SMART.
Sector error could be caused by *bad connection between cylinder and
chassis. * My SMART error could be caused by that, and now the HD has
no SMART error warning so far and everything is fine...

You'd be surprised by all the kinds of physical errors that SMART can
detect. It'll detect spin-up errors, just off the top of my head. It'll
detect electronic interface errors too, which nothing else can detect.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

SMART error means time to throw way and go buy another hard drive...
I mean SMART issues big warning like screaming at me "Hey your HD will
be failed and go buy another one and backup your data!"
Old February 12th 13, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Feb 12, 2:45 pm, Red Cloud wrote:

SMART error means time to throw way and go buy another hard drive...
I mean SMART issues big warning like screaming at me "Hey your HD will
be failed and go buy another one and backup your data!"

That's your inner-self interpreting a perceived threat generated upon
anomalistic conditioning, whose severity is the key exegesis of
axiomatic reinforcement characteristics broadly defined under the
First Compulsory Rules of Computing - No. 1 being always back it up.
What this is simply telling us, is that you really should get in touch
with yourself more often.
Old February 13th 13, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 12/02/2013 2:45 PM, Red Cloud wrote:
On Feb 11, 5:40 pm, Yousuf wrote:
On 11/02/2013 2:40 AM, Red Cloud wrote:

Physical error other than sector error can't be detect by SMART.
Sector error could be caused by bad connection between cylinder and
chassis. My SMART error could be caused by that, and now the HD has
no SMART error warning so far and everything is fine...

You'd be surprised by all the kinds of physical errors that SMART can
detect. It'll detect spin-up errors, just off the top of my head. It'll
detect electronic interface errors too, which nothing else can detect.

Yousuf Khan

SMART error means time to throw way and go buy another hard drive...
I mean SMART issues big warning like screaming at me "Hey your HD will
be failed and go buy another one and backup your data!"

No, not always, some errors are less severe than others. For example,
getting a spin-retry error could be something you may be able to ignore
for a little while before taking corrective action.

Get HD Sentinel, it has a very nifty rating system to measure a drive's
health, by scoring the SMART errors, from 0 to 100%. Takes the guess
work out of how bad your drive is. It'll even estimate the number of
days of life left in a drive experiencing errors. And the rating is
entirely based on SMART parameters passed to the program from the drives
themselves.

Yousuf Khan
Old February 13th 13, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

On Feb 11, 5:40 pm, Yousuf *wrote:
[...]

That's funny program

WD Internal 80GB Hard Drive dying. Mr.JGW Storage (alt) 0 July 16th 07 01:02 PM
Is this hard disk dying? :-( sk8terg1rl General 15 July 1st 07 10:25 AM
Any way a directory can simply disappear on a hard drive? news.rcn.com Storage (alt) 10 August 5th 05 10:23 PM
A dying hard disk Jack General 4 November 27th 04 06:52 AM
Hard drive dying DJS0302 General 3 July 9th 04 01:01 AM