A Computer hardware and components forum. ComputerBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ComputerBanter.com forum » Processors » Overclocking
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 24th 17, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
B00ze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 67
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

Good day.

So I've overclocked my 6700K to 4.5GHz; this required 1.3V base and with
LLC=6 it goes up to 1.360V in extreme situations, and this is where I am
wondering if I screwed-up the heat-sink/termal-paste somehow. What temps
are you guys seeing when you run Prime95's Small FFT (Maximum Heat) on
your overclocked CPU? Because on mine that particular test can make the
temps climb all the way to 93C. The heat-sink is a really good one
(NOCTUA NH-U12S) but it doesn't even get hot to the touch, it is barely
warmer than room temp, and I used good Arctic Silver TIM. While I may
have placed a tiny tiny bit too much I was real careful with the stuff
(maybe I didn't put enough?) Under normal testing I have good temps, but
under that extreme Small FFT Prime95 test, my CPU really cooks - do you
all get the same temps on air?

Thank you.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo Virus detected, delete Windoze? (Y/n).

  #2  
Old January 24th 17, 09:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 749
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

B00ze wrote:
Good day.

So I've overclocked my 6700K to 4.5GHz; this required 1.3V base and with
LLC=6 it goes up to 1.360V in extreme situations, and this is where I am
wondering if I screwed-up the heat-sink/termal-paste somehow. What temps
are you guys seeing when you run Prime95's Small FFT (Maximum Heat) on
your overclocked CPU? Because on mine that particular test can make the
temps climb all the way to 93C. The heat-sink is a really good one
(NOCTUA NH-U12S) but it doesn't even get hot to the touch, it is barely
warmer than room temp, and I used good Arctic Silver TIM. While I may
have placed a tiny tiny bit too much I was real careful with the stuff
(maybe I didn't put enough?) Under normal testing I have good temps, but
under that extreme Small FFT Prime95 test, my CPU really cooks - do you
all get the same temps on air?

Thank you.
Best Regards,


That heatsink seems to give pretty good performance here,
in terms of the degreesC/W.

http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2749&page=5

If the internal case air is at 35C, the Noctua added 20C (to get to Tcase),
you added another 25C case to junction (unknown, guess), the
Tjunction should be around 80C. Check and make sure the
computer case has a big enough fan on the back (to keep it at 35C).
If you notice that the CPU temp *drops* when you take
the side off the PC, that means your case cooling
sucks :-)

My case cooling isn't the greatest (since I fitted a
quieter fan on the back). I'm using the GPU as a proxy
for case air temp here. The hard drive is in the front of
the computer and hasn't budged. You can see the GPU temp
coming up a tiny bit, so I'd have to leave it running
for a bit longer, to get a true final temp. You can see
I could push this thing harder, but I'd have to fix
VCore somehow (too hot).

https://s28.postimg.org/ve04pgfl9/prime95_test.gif

That's cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 (with the center fan fitted).

I de-tuned the PC a bit when I got it, as the default
Asus settings were cooking the Vcore regulator. I turned
off the Turbo (which wouldn't make any difference in this
case, as it cannot Turbo if all cores are 100%). The measured
power, using a clamp-on ammeter, was 156W, before I turned
down the setting. That's the power feeding into VCore (ATX12V).
I have no easy way to measure the current flowing on VCore
itself. My clamp-on ammeter cannot fit around the copper
plane :-)

So my conditions aren't even close to a match for yours.
My Vcore heatsink was running 65C with the original settings
(with Prime95 as the test), so I couldn't leave the
thing that way. It probably won't go into thermal
runaway, but I'm not taking a chance. If only I'd
remembered to check the size of the VCore heatsink
before I bought the motherboard :-( Mistake.

Take a picture and show the dynamics of your setup,
from "idle" to running the test for 7-8 minutes. Just
to give some idea what hops up first.

https://postimage.io/index.php?um=flash

Things that matter:

1) Bent CPU.
2) Condition of the Intel TIM, between the silicon die
and the lid. Intel used low-temperatore solder between
the CPU and lid in the LGA775 days. To avoid "conflict
minerals", they went back to conventional dough-like material
on the newer processors.
3) It would take a generous, gushing layer of AS5 to insulate.

On the "too lean" side, you should use an inspection mirror from
the side, and look for the color of the AS5 wetting the junction.
Depending on the size of the heatsink, it might not be possible
to eyeball it. I apply half a rice grain bit of AS, compress, verify
the spread diameter, then adjust the dose for the second and final
installation. Then, hold the inspection mirror around the side,
and look for a wetted junction. Mine don't generally gush all
over as a result. I've under-dosed at least once, and then
it was third-time-lucky.

I stopped spreading it with a credit card, a long time ago :-)
That's just a waste.

Paul
  #3  
Old January 25th 17, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
hanky liu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

I have my 6700k at 4.5, I just use the xtu and tweak the memory timing and multiplier. When I run adobe media encoder or matlab sim, both keep the CPU at 95-100%, for couple hours at the time, my CPU temp doesn't go over 70.. and voltage is around 1.21-1.29 ish.... I have an Itx case with 980ti which the gpu generates more heat than anything other components..
  #4  
Old January 25th 17, 05:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
B00ze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 67
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

On 2017-01-24 04:21, Paul wrote:

[snip]

That heatsink seems to give pretty good performance here,
in terms of the degreesC/W.


Yeah, I bought it even tho I had a Hyper EVO in stock, but the heat is
so concentrated over a small area that I wonder if it really makes a
difference if you buy a more expensive heatsink over the cheaper EVO.

If the internal case air is at 35C, the Noctua added 20C (to get to Tcase),
you added another 25C case to junction (unknown, guess), the
Tjunction should be around 80C. Check and make sure the
computer case has a big enough fan on the back (to keep it at 35C).
If you notice that the CPU temp *drops* when you take
the side off the PC, that means your case cooling
sucks :-)


Case temp should be fine, it has 3 200mm fans + the back exhaust fan
(Thermaltake Urban T81 full-tower).

My case cooling isn't the greatest (since I fitted a
quieter fan on the back). I'm using the GPU as a proxy


That's the beauty of the case I got, since the fans are wide, they run
slower thus less noise.

for case air temp here. The hard drive is in the front of
the computer and hasn't budged. You can see the GPU temp
coming up a tiny bit, so I'd have to leave it running
for a bit longer, to get a true final temp. You can see
I could push this thing harder, but I'd have to fix
VCore somehow (too hot).


https://s28.postimg.org/ve04pgfl9/prime95_test.gif


I don't understand SpeedFan's graph; that line is around the 45 mark but
I know it's not 45C. And 1.088v is really low (for my CPU anyway, dunno
for your Ivy Bridge 6-Core). Strange that your HD0 temp goes up along
with the CPU, you'd think it would stay cool being in front of the case
away from the back exhaust...

That's cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 (with the center fan fitted).
I de-tuned the PC a bit when I got it, as the default
Asus settings were cooking the Vcore regulator. I turned
off the Turbo (which wouldn't make any difference in this
case, as it cannot Turbo if all cores are 100%). The measured
power, using a clamp-on ammeter, was 156W, before I turned
down the setting. That's the power feeding into VCore (ATX12V).
I have no easy way to measure the current flowing on VCore
itself. My clamp-on ammeter cannot fit around the copper
plane :-)


There is some bug with HWMonitor on my board, it keeps saying that
"Package" power is between 1W-2W; I wish it would read correctly, my
Watts must be through the roof when it hits 1.360v with all cores
running AVX2 in Prime95.

So my conditions aren't even close to a match for yours.
My Vcore heatsink was running 65C with the original settings
(with Prime95 as the test), so I couldn't leave the
thing that way. It probably won't go into thermal
runaway, but I'm not taking a chance. If only I'd
remembered to check the size of the VCore heatsink
before I bought the motherboard :-( Mistake.


Not OC'ed (i.e. at 1.200v) my CPU stays around 60C in Prime95 (and in
Intel Burn Test). I don't know why you "couldn't leave things that way"
- 65C is just fine, unless you plan on running Lin-pack 24/7 for the
next 12 years...

Take a picture and show the dynamics of your setup,
from "idle" to running the test for 7-8 minutes. Just
to give some idea what hops up first.


Prime95 Small FFT:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u69v3u4479...1344v.jpg?dl=0

Prime95 128K FFT (this is as high as it goes, if I leave it running
longer it goes up a degree or two):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odkzpw8yjz...1360v.jpg?dl=0

Things that matter:

1) Bent CPU.


Yeah, I thought of that, maybe my HS put too much pressure on the CPU,
but I'd have to take the thing apart to check :-(

2) Condition of the Intel TIM, between the silicon die
and the lid. Intel used low-temperatore solder between
the CPU and lid in the LGA775 days. To avoid "conflict
minerals", they went back to conventional dough-like
material on the newer processors.


Not sure it's to avoid conflict minerals - I read recently that they
found the lid would crack after hot/cold cycles if they used solder
instead of the goo they now use.

3) It would take a generous, gushing layer of AS5 to insulate.

On the "too lean" side, you should use an inspection mirror from
the side, and look for the color of the AS5 wetting the junction.
Depending on the size of the heatsink, it might not be possible
to eyeball it. I apply half a rice grain bit of AS, compress, verify
the spread diameter, then adjust the dose for the second and final
installation. Then, hold the inspection mirror around the side,
and look for a wetted junction. Mine don't generally gush all
over as a result. I've under-dosed at least once, and then
it was third-time-lucky.


I use the 2-Lines method from he

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/...1&limitstart=4

I used it once, then found out I'd put the heatsink in reverse (there
are little holes around the cooper posts, these I think should be facing
the fan, not the other way around,) so I removed it and did it again.
When I removed it, the paste was perfect, not too much, not too little,
spread nice and thin all over with very little run-off on the sides.

I stopped spreading it with a credit card, a long time ago :-)
That's just a waste.


Yeah.

I did some more googling, this time I added "Small FFT" to my terms, and
most people seem to agree that the latest Prime95 Small FFT which uses
AVX2 is just too punishing. If I use OCCT's "CPU" test (instead of it's
LinPack mode) then my CPU stays around 70C @ 1.344v, which I think is
fine; the only bench I have that makes LLC climb to 1.360v is Prime95.
LLC I think is supposed to LOWER the voltage when the CPU is really busy
so that temps stay constant; it's pretty cool to see MB manufacturers
switch it around and supply MORE volts when instead, so that the
overclock remains stable.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo Compile, run, curse. Recompile, rerun, recurse.

  #5  
Old January 25th 17, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
B00ze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 67
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

On 2017-01-24 19:35, hanky liu wrote:

I have my 6700k at 4.5, I just use the xtu and tweak the memory timing and multiplier. When I run adobe media encoder or matlab sim, both keep the CPU at 95-100%, for couple hours at the time, my CPU temp doesn't go over 70.. and voltage is around 1.21-1.29 ish.... I have an Itx case with 980ti which the gpu generates more heat than anything other components..


I'd have to try those - I don't have them, but if I run OCCT in CPU mode
then I stay around 70C (LinPack mode climbs to 88C). It really depends
on the stress program you use. I will install HandBrake next and try
that on a 4K video; apparently your overclock could be 100% stable and
still crash in HandBrake with a large video...

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo Mister Worf, show these children the airlock. -Picard

  #6  
Old January 25th 17, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 749
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

B00ze wrote:
On 2017-01-24 04:21, Paul wrote:

[snip]

That heatsink seems to give pretty good performance here,
in terms of the degreesC/W.


Yeah, I bought it even tho I had a Hyper EVO in stock, but the heat is
so concentrated over a small area that I wonder if it really makes a
difference if you buy a more expensive heatsink over the cheaper EVO.

If the internal case air is at 35C, the Noctua added 20C (to get to
Tcase),
you added another 25C case to junction (unknown, guess), the
Tjunction should be around 80C. Check and make sure the
computer case has a big enough fan on the back (to keep it at 35C).
If you notice that the CPU temp *drops* when you take
the side off the PC, that means your case cooling
sucks :-)


Case temp should be fine, it has 3 200mm fans + the back exhaust fan
(Thermaltake Urban T81 full-tower).

My case cooling isn't the greatest (since I fitted a
quieter fan on the back). I'm using the GPU as a proxy


That's the beauty of the case I got, since the fans are wide, they run
slower thus less noise.

for case air temp here. The hard drive is in the front of
the computer and hasn't budged. You can see the GPU temp
coming up a tiny bit, so I'd have to leave it running
for a bit longer, to get a true final temp. You can see
I could push this thing harder, but I'd have to fix
VCore somehow (too hot).


https://s28.postimg.org/ve04pgfl9/prime95_test.gif


I don't understand SpeedFan's graph; that line is around the 45 mark but
I know it's not 45C. And 1.088v is really low (for my CPU anyway, dunno
for your Ivy Bridge 6-Core). Strange that your HD0 temp goes up along
with the CPU, you'd think it would stay cool being in front of the case
away from the back exhaust...

That's cooled by a Noctua NH-D15 (with the center fan fitted).
I de-tuned the PC a bit when I got it, as the default
Asus settings were cooking the Vcore regulator. I turned
off the Turbo (which wouldn't make any difference in this
case, as it cannot Turbo if all cores are 100%). The measured
power, using a clamp-on ammeter, was 156W, before I turned
down the setting. That's the power feeding into VCore (ATX12V).
I have no easy way to measure the current flowing on VCore
itself. My clamp-on ammeter cannot fit around the copper
plane :-)


There is some bug with HWMonitor on my board, it keeps saying that
"Package" power is between 1W-2W; I wish it would read correctly, my
Watts must be through the roof when it hits 1.360v with all cores
running AVX2 in Prime95.

So my conditions aren't even close to a match for yours.
My Vcore heatsink was running 65C with the original settings
(with Prime95 as the test), so I couldn't leave the
thing that way. It probably won't go into thermal
runaway, but I'm not taking a chance. If only I'd
remembered to check the size of the VCore heatsink
before I bought the motherboard :-( Mistake.


Not OC'ed (i.e. at 1.200v) my CPU stays around 60C in Prime95 (and in
Intel Burn Test). I don't know why you "couldn't leave things that way"
- 65C is just fine, unless you plan on running Lin-pack 24/7 for the
next 12 years...

Take a picture and show the dynamics of your setup,
from "idle" to running the test for 7-8 minutes. Just
to give some idea what hops up first.


Prime95 Small FFT:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u69v3u4479...1344v.jpg?dl=0

Prime95 128K FFT (this is as high as it goes, if I leave it running
longer it goes up a degree or two):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odkzpw8yjz...1360v.jpg?dl=0

Things that matter:

1) Bent CPU.


Yeah, I thought of that, maybe my HS put too much pressure on the CPU,
but I'd have to take the thing apart to check :-(

2) Condition of the Intel TIM, between the silicon die
and the lid. Intel used low-temperatore solder between
the CPU and lid in the LGA775 days. To avoid "conflict
minerals", they went back to conventional dough-like
material on the newer processors.


Not sure it's to avoid conflict minerals - I read recently that they
found the lid would crack after hot/cold cycles if they used solder
instead of the goo they now use.

3) It would take a generous, gushing layer of AS5 to insulate.

On the "too lean" side, you should use an inspection mirror from
the side, and look for the color of the AS5 wetting the junction.
Depending on the size of the heatsink, it might not be possible
to eyeball it. I apply half a rice grain bit of AS, compress, verify
the spread diameter, then adjust the dose for the second and final
installation. Then, hold the inspection mirror around the side,
and look for a wetted junction. Mine don't generally gush all
over as a result. I've under-dosed at least once, and then
it was third-time-lucky.


I use the 2-Lines method from he

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/...1&limitstart=4


I used it once, then found out I'd put the heatsink in reverse (there
are little holes around the cooper posts, these I think should be facing
the fan, not the other way around,) so I removed it and did it again.
When I removed it, the paste was perfect, not too much, not too little,
spread nice and thin all over with very little run-off on the sides.

I stopped spreading it with a credit card, a long time ago :-)
That's just a waste.


Yeah.

I did some more googling, this time I added "Small FFT" to my terms, and
most people seem to agree that the latest Prime95 Small FFT which uses
AVX2 is just too punishing. If I use OCCT's "CPU" test (instead of it's
LinPack mode) then my CPU stays around 70C @ 1.344v, which I think is
fine; the only bench I have that makes LLC climb to 1.360v is Prime95.
LLC I think is supposed to LOWER the voltage when the CPU is really busy
so that temps stay constant; it's pretty cool to see MB manufacturers
switch it around and supply MORE volts when instead, so that the
overclock remains stable.

Best Regards,


Your curve seems to have a longer rise time than mine,
almost as if the cooler is being "overwhelmed".

Heatpipes have a limited thermal pumping capacity.
If you manage to keep all the working liquid in the
vapor phase (no chance to condense), then the temperature
shoots up. The heatpipe has some sort of "watt rating",
over which it's probably not going to pump heat like it should.
Each heatpipe has two drops of fluid in it - there isn't
a couple of ounces of the stuff. Heatpipes can also leak and
fail, but that hasn't been a problem for years and years.
Manufacturers have figured out how to make good heatpipes.
When heatpipes were still a novelty, at least one product
shipped with no fluid in any of its heatpipes. Making it
gutless.

You could try a more powerful fan on the cooler.

The other issue with these designs, is "no cowling".
Mine doesn't have one either. A cowling on the heatsink,
would ensure that any static pressure the fan can develop,
goes through the fins.

Since I own a 37.5mm thick fan, if I had to attempt a retrofit,
I'd do a sheet metal cowling, plus fit the 37.5mm thick fan.
That's to get as much air velocity as possible through the
fins. I've only done one cowling/shroud for a CPU cooler here,
in the time I've worked on computers.

Air cooling goes asymptotic over about 800LFM (linear feet per minute).
Run of the mill electronics, might use around 200LFM. So there
is a point, where "mo fan" does "no good".

Paul
  #7  
Old January 26th 17, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
hanky liu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

When I did 4K encoding with adobe I have it running overnight a lot, it's stable plus able to do work while it's running encoding, the CPU is at 100 but system is responsive... one thing I've noticed, it really depend on your ram, you can't install more than ddr4 2400....
  #8  
Old January 26th 17, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
B00ze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 67
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

On 2017-01-25 05:15, Paul wrote:

Your curve seems to have a longer rise time than mine,
almost as if the cooler is being "overwhelmed".


It's a "bug" in SpeedFan - I tried again and this time I added the CPU
Cores to the graph: They shoot-up to 88C immediately, while the line for
"CPU" slowly slowly slowly rises.

Heatpipes have a limited thermal pumping capacity.
If you manage to keep all the working liquid in the
vapor phase (no chance to condense), then the temperature
shoots up. The heatpipe has some sort of "watt rating",
over which it's probably not going to pump heat like it should.
Each heatpipe has two drops of fluid in it - there isn't
a couple of ounces of the stuff. Heatpipes can also leak and
fail, but that hasn't been a problem for years and years.
Manufacturers have figured out how to make good heatpipes.
When heatpipes were still a novelty, at least one product
shipped with no fluid in any of its heatpipes. Making it
gutless.


They barely get hot to the touch tho, which I find strange - on my
laptop the exhaust vent becomes really hot immediately when I run
Prime95, not so on the Noctua cooler in my rig, it just becomes warm'ish
- I mean it's higher than room temp, but I can leave my hand there
forever and never feel the need to remove it because it's too hot...

You could try a more powerful fan on the cooler.


Yeah, I thought of that too - the Hyper EVO has a much faster fan, but I
don't know, Noctua fans are supposed to be good. Oh well, I guess I will
live with it. The only thing that worries me is whether I have bent the
CPU's PCB or not - if not bent then fine, it's how it is. And if I did
bend it, well I'm not buying another one, lol, so I will just accept
that it gets hot under Prime95.

The other issue with these designs, is "no cowling".
Mine doesn't have one either. A cowling on the heatsink,
would ensure that any static pressure the fan can develop,
goes through the fins.

Since I own a 37.5mm thick fan, if I had to attempt a retrofit,
I'd do a sheet metal cowling, plus fit the 37.5mm thick fan.
That's to get as much air velocity as possible through the
fins. I've only done one cowling/shroud for a CPU cooler here,
in the time I've worked on computers.

Air cooling goes asymptotic over about 800LFM (linear feet per minute).
Run of the mill electronics, might use around 200LFM. So there
is a point, where "mo fan" does "no good".


Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo I need a practice target ... Wesley! -Worf

  #9  
Old January 26th 17, 05:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul[_26_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 749
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

B00ze wrote:
On 2017-01-25 05:15, Paul wrote:

Your curve seems to have a longer rise time than mine,
almost as if the cooler is being "overwhelmed".


It's a "bug" in SpeedFan - I tried again and this time I added the CPU
Cores to the graph: They shoot-up to 88C immediately, while the line for
"CPU" slowly slowly slowly rises.

Heatpipes have a limited thermal pumping capacity.
If you manage to keep all the working liquid in the
vapor phase (no chance to condense), then the temperature
shoots up. The heatpipe has some sort of "watt rating",
over which it's probably not going to pump heat like it should.
Each heatpipe has two drops of fluid in it - there isn't
a couple of ounces of the stuff. Heatpipes can also leak and
fail, but that hasn't been a problem for years and years.
Manufacturers have figured out how to make good heatpipes.
When heatpipes were still a novelty, at least one product
shipped with no fluid in any of its heatpipes. Making it
gutless.


They barely get hot to the touch tho, which I find strange - on my
laptop the exhaust vent becomes really hot immediately when I run
Prime95, not so on the Noctua cooler in my rig, it just becomes warm'ish
- I mean it's higher than room temp, but I can leave my hand there
forever and never feel the need to remove it because it's too hot...

You could try a more powerful fan on the cooler.


Yeah, I thought of that too - the Hyper EVO has a much faster fan, but I
don't know, Noctua fans are supposed to be good. Oh well, I guess I will
live with it. The only thing that worries me is whether I have bent the
CPU's PCB or not - if not bent then fine, it's how it is. And if I did
bend it, well I'm not buying another one, lol, so I will just accept
that it gets hot under Prime95.

The other issue with these designs, is "no cowling".
Mine doesn't have one either. A cowling on the heatsink,
would ensure that any static pressure the fan can develop,
goes through the fins.

Since I own a 37.5mm thick fan, if I had to attempt a retrofit,
I'd do a sheet metal cowling, plus fit the 37.5mm thick fan.
That's to get as much air velocity as possible through the
fins. I've only done one cowling/shroud for a CPU cooler here,
in the time I've worked on computers.

Air cooling goes asymptotic over about 800LFM (linear feet per minute).
Run of the mill electronics, might use around 200LFM. So there
is a point, where "mo fan" does "no good".


Regards,


There's probably a couple ways the pipe wouldn't get hot.
Likely leaving no choice but to take it apart and verify things.

I agree that the silicon die on your processor, is probably
pretty tiny. (All that FINFET goodness.) Which puts an extra
responsibility on the sole plate of your Noctua. If you had
one of those coolers where the bare pipes touched the processor,
then a couple of the pipes might be carrying all the heat. Yours
has a sole plate, so that gives a bit of spreading. The newer
processors have a thicker lid, which was added for spreading
angle too.

6700K - de-lid
https://hardforum.com/threads/6700k-...sults.1878870/

Technique demonstrated on a 3770K
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...-tims.2285595/

The first one, shows the motherboard measurement tool showing
177W when a bit more than your voltage is applied.

The second article, shows just how thick the IHS is getting
on these processors. It's there to get spreading angle
and make the thermal footprint larger on the lid surface.

For best results, the heatsink should be oriented such
that it had the feet of the pipes going across the
thin dimension. If just one pipe runs along the die, that
would give poor cooler response.

In this picture, you could compare the three screws of the
normal socket mounting hardware, to the orientation of
your setup. I would guess they don't arbitrarily rotate
the die, between 3770K and 6700K :-) But who knows.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...0kinsocket.jpg

My CPU would be a bit different, as the die is square
on mine. And the lid is soldered down. I believe at the
time, that was part of my buying decision (4930K or 5930K).
Too bad I was such an idiot on motherboard selection, and
am now limited by a gutless VCore.

http://i.imgur.com/ZnOF6xh.jpg

Paul

  #10  
Old January 26th 17, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
hanky liu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

Have you considered liquid cooling? What mobo are you using, and the build?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duron overclock and temps Big Sky AMD Thunderbird Processors 3 September 16th 05 12:03 PM
Duron overclock and temps Big Sky Overclocking AMD Processors 4 September 13th 05 07:58 AM
Prime95 MikeJohnes General 3 January 10th 05 01:02 PM
CPU temps/Chas temps high Phil, Squid-in-Training Overclocking 3 December 13th 04 02:45 PM
Prime95 question: (Prime95 fails but 3DMark2003 doesn't) Daniel Czajko Overclocking AMD Processors 5 March 12th 04 11:14 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ComputerBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.