USB stick leaking

Old April 23rd 17, 11:16 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

Default USB stick leaking

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" schreef in bericht
[]
"Linea Recta" schreef in bericht
news I used a Lexar USB stick yesterday to boot a computer. I haven't used
the stick intensively, but now I noticed that it is leaking sticky
stuff from the seam on the sides. Any idea what the stuff is? Is it
toxic? Can I keep using the stick normally?

[]
An AMAZING amount of analysis from everybody!

Since nobody seems to think it _really_ is coming out (or at least no-one
can think of anything there'd be enough of to be oozing as described),
could it be that you - or someone in your household - has dropped it in
something, or dropped something on it (possibly from something leaking
above it), such that it just _looks_ as if it's coming out?

[Does it smell or taste funny/good/bad? No responsibility taken if you
try, mind (-:!]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

This surely shows you don't know my household.

--

|\ /|
| \/ [email protected]
\../
\/os

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Brian Gregory

On 20/04/2017 18:45, VanguardLH wrote:
... Some use silicon to seal them. ...

That's silicone.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_26_]

Brian Gregory wrote:
On 20/04/2017 18:45, VanguardLH wrote:
... Some use silicon to seal them. ...

That's silicone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

"More precisely called polymerized siloxanes or polysiloxanes,
silicones consist of an inorganic silicon-oxygen backbone
chain (⋯-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-⋯) with organic side groups attached
to the silicon atoms. These silicon atoms are tetravalent.

R R
| | R = methyl, ethyl, phenol
- Si - O - Si - O ... (presumably "making a different
| | stink while they cure")
R R

Silicone is sometimes mistakenly referred to as silicon. The
chemical element silicon is a crystalline metalloid widely used
in computers and other electronic equipment."

So they bear some vague relationship, by appearing
in the same Wikipedia article :-)

And the metalloid, I've not heard that term before. Apparently,
that's English for "we've having trouble categorizing the
properties of this material" :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalloid

Paul

leaking current whatever[_2_] General 13 January 30th 08 12:48 PM
Is Bootability from USB Stick an USB Stick feature or motherboard dependent or both ? Detecting with software tool possible ? Joe deAngelo Storage (alt) 0 January 17th 08 12:27 PM
Another leaking cap problem? Joe Gigbyte Motherboards 2 October 26th 05 01:46 AM
Leaking Caps pheasant Overclocking AMD Processors 6 October 13th 05 01:34 AM
Ink leaking from HP-882 Martin Printers 0 October 25th 04 12:50 PM