Got it working! First post from inside Damn Small Linux! Needmore help pls

Old June 8th 10, 02:35 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Got it working! First post from inside Damn Small Linux! Needmore help pls

On Jun 8, 3:27*pm, RayLopez99 wrote:
[]

I also want to install OpenOffice 1.0, which is the only thing that
will run on this old hardware...

On second thought, I think I'll recommend that only .RTF format be
used...that's good enough. "Beevor" and "Ted" are two RTF editors in
DamnSmallLinux that seem to work (though TED just crashed on me, when
I clicked on the "recently opened" link--you have to not use it and
simply use the 'open' menu--stuff like this is typical of amateur
slopware/ freeware, but you get what you pay for).

RL
Old June 8th 10, 03:12 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J G Miller

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 06:35:46 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

I also want to install OpenOffice 1.0, which is the only thing that will
run on this old hardware...

If you only need to prepare and read documents, have you considered
abiword instead?

http://www.abisource.COM/
Old June 9th 10, 09:08 AM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Jun 8, 5:12*pm, J G Miller wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 06:35:46 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:
I also want to install OpenOffice 1.0, which is the only thing that will
run on this old hardware...

If you only need to prepare and read documents, have you considered
abiword instead?

* * * * http://www.abisource.COM/

Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
install it? It would literally be my first Linux program I installed
(other than what I did with RHAT over 10 years ago, which I don't
remember). Would it, for example (I am using default directory names
that came with installation for Damn Small Linux) go under "/sbin"?
Do I log in under 'root' (http://www.linfo.org/root.html), then what,
drag and drop (i.e., copy) the executable binary I download from
abisource.com to what directory?

Thanks in advance,

RL
Old June 9th 10, 03:04 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J G Miller

On Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 at 01:08:22h -0700, RayLopez99 asked:

Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
install it?

Abiword is available as a myDSL extension, so you install it through the
myDSL extensions framework.

Full instructions for how to install software available in the myDSL
extensions repository should be consulted at

http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions

A list of all the software available in the myDSL extensions repository
is available at

http://distro.ibiblio.ORG/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/mydsl/
Old June 9th 10, 03:39 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ray

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 01:08:22 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

[...]

Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.
Old June 10th 10, 11:41 AM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Jun 9, 5:39*pm, ray wrote:

Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.

well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
picture) how to do it?

"thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
it's sooo easy, right?)

RL

Old June 10th 10, 09:34 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Alister Ware

On Jun 9, 5:39*pm, ray wrote:

Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.

well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
picture) how to do it?

"thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
it's sooo easy, right?)

RL

Ray seems to have a issue with helping people to learn that the Windoze
way is not the only way.
most linux distributions have some form of "Package Manager" these enable
packages to be downloaded & installed directly from a "Repository" on the
internet.
if a package is not available in the repository for your distro then an
installation file can usually be found in the correct format for your
distro.

Debian based distros use apt-get as a package manager & .deb files for
instalation

Red hat (& fedora) use yum as a package manager & the RPM format for
packages

DSL uses its own form of package management & J G Miller has already
given you a link to its documentation page http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/
wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions

I would suggest that before trying to create an extreme installation
( & squeezing an os into limited hardware is extreme) you might find it
beneficial to learn on a more mainstream distro with more up-to date
hardware first
--
fortune -s linux
Old June 10th 10, 09:51 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Jun 10, 11:34*pm, Alister Ware wrote:

DSL uses its own form of package management & J G Miller has already
given you a link to its documentation page http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/
wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions

I looked at this link and could not find anything. Can you please
tell me where info on how to install is for DSL? Is it here? Which
command he http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html

Where do you put the binary executables (assuming I download something
already compiled)?

I would suggest that before trying to create an extreme installation
( & squeezing an os into limited hardware is extreme) you might find it
beneficial to learn on a more mainstream distro with more up-to date
hardware first
--

No, please help me with what I have. The pot of gold is always on the
other side of the rainbow, I know. Windows is the same way (each new

Please help.

RL
Old June 10th 10, 10:30 PM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J G Miller

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:51:45 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

On Jun 10, 11:34*pm, Alister Ware wrote:

DSL uses its own form of package management & J G Miller has already
given you a link to its documentation page
http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/
wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions

I looked at this link and could not find anything.

Not even the second paragraph section titled

*Installing From A MyDSL Repository*

Which part of the instructions on that page, did you not understand?

QUOTE

Installing From A MyDSL Repository

The way to do this is through the use of the
MyDSL Extension Browser.

This tool is available from a desktop icon, from the desktop menu

under Apps - Tools

or by using the command

mydslPanel.lua

(or the new one: mydslBrowser.lua).

Steps:

Make sure you are logged in as user dsl

Open the MyDSL Extension Browser

Select the category[1] you want to browse

Select the package you want.

An Info box will appear (please read the info file[2] of each
package you select)

Press the Download button

The extension will be automatically downloaded to the directory specified
in .mydsl_dir (default is /tmp), checked for corruption, and then installed.

If the package includes a desktop icon and/or menu item, those will also
be added automatically.

UNQUOTE

And does not the attentive reader find it "odd" that RayLopez99
did not respond to my posting, but only now complains that he cannot
find the details on the provided link which tells him exactly what
he needs to do to install the software when somebody else points
out that his plea for help has already been answered in another posting?